Sunday, December 19, 2010

Baby Taggie Comfort Blanket


Tonight I finished a lovely custom order for an extra-large taggie/comforter for a baby girl and am very happy with how it turned out. After chatting with her Mam I decided to go for a heart shape, and to embelish it with a combination of cotton and fleece applique. I used some lovely fabric to applique flower, star and mini heart shapes, in conjunction with some additional fleece colours and all are zig-zagged on with a vibrant cerise pink thread to make them more eye-catching. It measures 60cm long x 60cm wide at the widest point, so is quite a bit bigger than my standard size, but makes a perfect comfort blanket size and I think I will do more in a similar size in future. The comforter is backed with a beautiful, soft lavender Minky fabric. This Minky is textured with dots and silky soft so I'm hoping that baby Lily will love the feel of it, and it will become a treasured "blankie" for her!

I started out with some flower appliques which are contrasted with complimentary fleece, one in a purple dot fabric and the other in a cerise pink fleece.



After doing a lot of blog reading lately, I decided to use a type of "fussy cutting" technique for some of my heart appliques, picking out particular parts of the fabrics to highlight, and I it worked very nicely: the owl and the cat add lovely character to this comforter and work very nicely in the heart applique. They also blend well with the two other hearts.


I finished off with some of my favourite shapes - stars - using contrasting cotton weights to add interest and texture. The stripe/flower star applique is a heavyweight cotton with a completely different feel to the quilting weight cotton I have used elsewhere.

Finally, it was all sewn up using a combination of different textured and coloured ribbons all the way around, and baby Lily's name is embroidered on the back in pink. I hope that she loves it!!



2 comments:

patchworkdelights said...

This is really very pretty and I have no doubt that Lily is going to treasure her taggie blanket. I like the fussy cutting techniques, works great! Fi

Lory said...

It looks very sweet.