Thursday, March 31, 2011

2011: First Quarter gone already

I saw a lovely post by Elizabeth over at Don't Call Me Betsy which got me thinking; she was looking back on her progress against her crafty goals for the first quarter. So I decided I'd jump on the bandwagon and do the same, and maybe get thinking about what I want to get done by the end of June.

Back at the start of the year, I was still too much in recovery from Christmas to write out any goals. But I did have quite a few actually - mostly short term focused. Here's a little summary:

1. To finish my Bliss Charm quilt. This was the first quilt I ever made, I started it over Christmas and completely fell in love with quilting while I worked on it.


2. To make more from my own designs and I definitely have done this with lovely quilts I made.

PictureBox quilt

I loved how they turned out, and even wrote up a tutorial for the PictureBox quilt, and at the weekend I got an email from Beverly who has made it - I'll post her version over the weekend. That totally made my day, as you can imagine!
Sophie's Dreams quilt
I also designed this handbag and must get working on more bags.


3. To take part in a Quiltalong....I had been reading about these all over, and was hoping one would come along that I felt experienced enough to take part in. Of course, like the proverbial bus, none came for ages and then 3 came at once. In recent weeks I joined up in the Lily's Quilt quiltalong. I'm loving doing the Dresden mini block, its so much fun!


Also, this week I decided that I'm going to take part in the Bottled Rainbows Quiltalong on a small scale. But sadly, I just couldn't commit to the Supernova quiltalong over at Freshly Pieced even though I'd love to do it - I just don't have the time.

4. To take part in the Amy Butler Style Stitches sewalongs over at My Crafty Crap and JemJam. I'm making pretty patchy progress with this one - the Cosmo bag (January) is half done, I didn't do the February bag (the big shopper) at all and I did one small Origami bag for March, although I'd like to do a few more. I'm looking forward to the next one for April, the chequebook cover, I badly need a pretty one.

 

 5.  To make a Charm Bracelets quilt using Kate Conklin's lovely pattern. I even have the Fandango charm pack. But I haven't even come close to starting it.

6.  To make the Alice quilt from Red Pepper Quilts - I just love this one and reckon I have enough scraps for it but again, no time (yet).

7. To take part for the first time in some Flickr swaps. I joined up for the Scrappy Pincushion one and loved taking part, in particular the lovely pinnie I received.  I'll definitely be looking forward to participating in more!




8.  To grow my blog and to take part more in the crafty blogging community - and I've really pleased I've done this. I'm really thrilled and flattered to have lots of new readers this year and I've made loads of new bloggy "friends" all over the world who have given me great advice and lots of inspiration. I love visiting their blogs every week to see what they're up to!


9.  To learn, learn, learn!! I'm new to quilting and this last 3 months has been a challenging and wonderful time for me as I learned new techniques, got to grips with quilting basics and browsed online resources, tutorials, patterns and blogs voraciously. I'm now completely addicted to and in love with the process and end result - roll on the rest of the year!!

I have lots of goals for the remainder of the year but think I will spend a little time thinking about them and maybe post them next week! In the meantime I'll be linking this up to Elizabeth's post and checking out everyone else's progress.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Sarah, this sounds like an awesome list of goals, and you've also made a mountain of progress so far, that's fantastic! I, too, adore Kate's pattern and Rita's wonderful Alice pattern, and I can't wait to see how those turn out for you.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Sounds like you've made some great progress on your goals. I love the commissioned quilts you did, they are beautiful.

Becky said...

you are simply amazing. I am new to quilting. I started my first quilt, which was all hand sewn, back in the fall of last year. I made my first machine quilt at around christmas time. I still have sooooo much to learn and am currently on overload but it is fun learning

Wendy said...

You've done so well! I set myself a list of goals at the beginning of the year but I haven't looked back at them and to be honest, I'll be they've changed. I LOVE your Bliss quilt. I'm yet to make a quilt but I love yours. I quite fancied Bottle Rainbows too but I have hardly any scraps

tusen said...

That's an impressive summary!
And I just love your quilts.

Kelly Rachel said...

Oh, you've *so* inspired me to make some goals. I tend to sew haphazardly and never seem to get to those projects that I REALLY want to do - like your Picture Box quilt - I very much want to make this, but other 'stuff' seems to keep getting in the way.

I LOVE that bag - so beautiful! If you were selling the pattern I would buy it in a heartbeat!