Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Back to being a bag lady

It's a long, long time since I made a bag. Too long. I forgot how much fun they are, and how challenging the fact that they are 3-dimensional can be.


A couple of weeks ago, I was catching up on my blog reading and came across Heidi's tutorial for the Ellie travel case. It was one of those tutes that just jumped out at me - super cute and I felt like I just HAD to try it.

So on Saturday, I had a moment where I actually had nothing to do - the house was tidy, everyone was fed - those moments come along very rarely these days. (Well, honestly, the basics were done. There was, obviously, plenty I could have been doing, if I was the sort of person who didn't avoid housework like the plague.) So I jumped at the chance and decided to make something quick and fun - and this was the obvious project. There were no fabric choices to be made - as soon as I thought of the bag, I knew I wanted to use the black Nordika print FQ I'd been hoarding for a special project, and I knew I wanted the pink for contrast.


So I grabbed my stuff, got cutting, interfacing and sewing and in a few hours, hey presto I had a bag!

It's small, but beautiful.  I love how the Nordika plays together. The top pic is the front..the back is equally nice, the fabric is just placed slightly differently.



I used some leftover hexie print poplin for the lining which works great in it.


The long zipper makes this a very practical little bag to pack stuff in and out of. My zip ends definitely need a bit of work. I haven't done a zip insertion in so long, its a little bit on the messy side, but no one will be looking at it anyways.


I'd definitely recommend trying this, the tute is great and its a lovely make. Thanks Heidi for the inspiration - I had the most sewing fun in ages making this!

 




9 comments:

Heidi Staples said...

You are SO welcome, Sarah! Just looking at that beautiful bag of yours makes me happy! :)

Heidi Staples said...

You are SO welcome, Sarah! Just looking at that beautiful bag of yours makes me happy! :)

Tomomi McElwee said...

I love the very bold colour choice!

Katy Cameron said...

Very cute, and I'm giggling at the sewists cleaning aversion that is obviously endemic... ;o)

Marcia R. said...

Super cute! I bookmarked that one right away too! And I can tell you have your sewjo (sewing mojo) back..

Catherine said...

Fabulous bag-off to have a look at the tutorial

Karen said...

Oh yum! Fabulous color combo, this bag looks cute! :)

mumasu said...

I love your bag and also avoid housework like the plague!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Very nice bag