Sunday, February 5, 2012

Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland: Launching!

After a lot of discussion in the last few months, myself and Cindy have launched the Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland!

Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland

You can't imagine how excited I am about this! Since I started quilting last January, having a modern quilt guild in Ireland is something I aspired to and thought about. While there are 2 very active organisations already in existence - the Irish Patchwork Society, and the Quilter's Guild of Ireland (of which I am a member) - I absolutely loved the thought of a community of quilters dedicated to the modern aesthetic and interested in having some fun with it.

We have set up a dedicated blog, a Flickr group and Facebook page, and I would just love if you came over and joined us. If you are based in Ireland and you are interested in modern quilting, please come and take part. We have an introductory post here with a registration form and information about modern quilting here, if you are not sure what we are talking about!

One of the things I love most about modern quilting is how it is accessible to both the experienced or the novice quilter. I also love the bold use of colour, modern fabrics, the clean lines, the simplicity. I love how you can make a stunning quilt from lots of negative space, with a few pops of colour. I love how it draws on traditional patchwork, but modifies and interprets it for a modern look. I love how it throws the rules out the window for one quilt, and yet draws on and embellishes those rules for another.

So you might have guessed by now...I just love modern quilting! Do you love it too? Want to have some fun? Want to try and set up local meetings with like-minded folk? Please, please, join us!

20 comments:

Annabella said...

Kinda of wishing I lived in Ireland now...would love to do this with you and Cindy, and your `speech` on why you love modern quilting is exactly why I love it. Kudos to you and Cindy for setting this up. Lucky lucky Irish girls having this.

Lindsay Conner said...

Woohoo! So happy for you to start getting together! :) I love my MQG buddies. It's been a huge inspiration for me to keep growing in my quilting.

Canadian Abroad said...

Well done you two! Very impressive leadership once again.

Toni said...

Congratulations!! So happy for you Irish quilters!!

Lynne said...

Congratulations, and welcome aboard from the St. Louis Modern Quilt Guild in Missouri, USA!

Lynne said...

Good on you! That is very exciting. The Modern Quilt Guild only started in Sydney in October last year and I was so thrilled! Enjoy!

felicity said...

I'm so excited for you, Sarah! What a wonderful thing - congratulations!

Danny Heyen said...

So fun! I would come if I lived in Ireland... But I don't, so I'll just have to see all the pretties you make on here! Congrats!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

How exciting!!

Sheila said...

Well done to you both, I am sure you'll have lots of others join you. Katy has set up a West Central Scotland MQG and I will be going to the next meeting soon. Virtual meeting reality - fun!!

Cindy said...

Woo hoo! This is so exciting, Sarah!

my4lilgirls said...

What a great idea, would love to join up & get quilting a bit more, have neglected it a bit of late.
Count me in
Karen x

Lisnaweary Quilts said...

Well done you and Cindy! Count me in! I'll spread the word in my corner of Ireland!

pippablue said...

So happy you guys have put this together! I was going to blog about it on Pipablue if you guys don't mind! Let me know and I'll out it up today!

Isisjem said...

I see the Scottish girls have done the same! Well done to you all for pushing this way of quilting!

Katy Cameron said...

Have loads of fun with it! Wow, you're lots more organised than me, I just e-mailed everyone I knew that quilted in the Central Belt of Scotland and asked them to come out and play with me :oD

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

How exciting! Have fun!!

Alli said...

Yayayayayay for you guys! :)

Irina said...

Well done gals! I'll check it out. How am I going to get the time with a new baba on the way?????

sydthewyd said...

Yay! Congratulations! We just set up MQG London last month.. I'd be great to do a little Guild meetup at some point in the future :)