Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Woohoo! First quilt finish of 2013 :-)))))


 Quilt closeup

Those noises you're hearing and wondering what they are? They're the sound of me doing a happy dance that I have finally - almost 3 months into the year - managed a quilt finish. Yippee!


It's a very small quilt - a baby size pram quilt - but a big milestone. Finished this morning as my baba hit the 10 week mark - can you believe how fast the weeks are flying by?  (A hell of a lot faster than the last 10 weeks of pregnancy which were pure torture!) After she was born, I bought a couple of Posy charm packs and when they arrived, I stroked them for a couple of weeks while I was deciding what to do with them. I've wanted to try a tumbler quilt for a little while now, and as the charms lent themselves so easily to cutting into tumbler shapes, I made quick progress once I jumped in and started cutting. I used about 1.5 charm packs - or slightly less - on this, primarily picking the brightest fabrics from the packs.

Back in the Black Friday sale, I bought a yard of Happy Ever After fabric from The Intrepid Thread just because I thought it was lovely - it was one of a few boys and girls fabrics I bought to make sure I had some lovely fabrics in my stash when baby arrived. I really like how it works against the quilt top - totally different, but sweet and girlie also and able to stand on its own enough to make this functional as a double sided quilt.

Quilt back

I quilted it in a random stipple using Aurifil 50wt thread in a light pink, adding in lots of hearts for my gorgeous baby who has truly stolen our hearts! I like how the quilting shows up on this picture I took in the sunlight this morning before washing it:

Quilting

After that, all that remained was to bind it. I auditioned a few binding choices over on Instagram,  but wasn't really happy with any of them. So I popped off to the local fabric shop and while I was looking at fabrics, noticed they had a premade bias binding in precisely the colour I had been searching for in the fabrics.

Quilt folded

I really am happy with the deep purple binding, it works well with the Posy colours and kind of grounds the colours and frames the quilt. (I also might be in love with the premade binding, this was the nicest I've found and super easy and quick to work with. Anything that makes the process easier at the moment!)

And ta-dah, it's done!! I hope you'll forgive me the number of photos for such a small quilt (25 x 36"), but as you can see, I'm very excited to finally have a finish to show you. And here's the lady herself, kicking around happily on it this evening!

Rachel on quilt


I'm working on a few other things - don't forget to pop over and follow me on Instagram where I am posting regular pictures of my work in progress and enjoying looking at what everyone else is working on.
 
Linking up to Fabric Tuesday over at Quilt Story:
Fresh Poppy Design

22 comments:

Di said...

It is such a pretty quilt and tumblers are one of my favourite blocks. Di x

Canadian Abroad said...

Such a pretty quilt, and I did see it coming together in IG. Yay for a finish.

Schulz Family said...

gorgeous. The baby, the quilt and backing material to die for.

Tina said...

congratiulations!
It is so hard to get something done / finished with a newborn in the house - and that is the time one wants to sew so much for the little one.
Cute quilt, cute baby!

Jenniffier said...

Congratulations on the quilt. It looks fantastic. Great quilt with a lovely little one enjoying it!

felicity said...

Oh how adorable. :)

Annabella said...

Yea for a sweet finish and your wee model is adorable!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt - the tumblers are a great pattern and your stippling is lovely!

Katy Cameron said...

Cute, and it appears you have a satisfied customer too :o)

Judith, Belfast said...

What a cute quilt! I'm sure little 'un will love growing up with it. Jxo

Leanne said...

The quilt is lovely, the quilt model is adorable. Good for you!

Lynne said...

Lovely!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Absolutely lovely and Im sure it will be cherished for years to come x

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous finish! Congrats :o)

Wendy said...

I don't blame you for being pleased with it, it looks lovely, the quilting is gorgeous, as is the little one!

Alas, I won't be following anyone on Instagram, it would appear I'm the only person in Blogland not to own a smartphone.

Cindy said...

Woo hoo! I'm so happy for you! What a great finish...R is looking adorable. She's growing, isn't she?

Jessica Kelly said...

Such a pretty quilt, and an adorable model!!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Beautiful quilt for a beautiful girl xxx

Karen said...

Congratulations on your first quilt finish of the year! Mine was a baby quilt too. It's a lovely quilt and it looks like it was well received - bless her.

lindsey said...

Beautiful quilt

Contented Caroline said...

Yayyyyy. Well done on the first finish - it's a lovely little quilt as modelled by your gorgeous daughter. If you're enjoying your baba as much as I am then I'm sure you're a very happy mama x

Unknown said...

I shared your project on my blog because I was talking about that fabric. Love yours! Thanks :) You can check it out if you like here: http://littlebitsofeverythingqce.blogspot.com/2013/04/baby-posey-quilt.html
~Rachel at Little Bits of Everything