Saturday, July 2, 2011

I'm really back now....sewing fun with some crazy blocks!


Well, I'm sure its been more obvious than I hoped that my quilting and sewing mojo has been struggling a little lately, what with work stress, general life stuff and all. When I look back over my posting the last month or 6 weeks its been a bit thin on the ground. But a break is maybe the best thing for you in situations like that and when I got back on Thursday morning I was all refreshed and ready for action! After cutting all my Kaleidoscope triangles on Thursday afternoon (in betweeen catching up on the mountain of holiday laundry - how does that happen, when you are washing when you are away too?? It's a mystery to me!) I was chomping at the bit yesterday to get sewing again. But I wanted something fresh, not a big project, something fun, something I didn't have to think about too much that would inspire me! I rumaged around in my UFO box and found this crazy scrappy block that I did back in April:


Officially I'm supposed to be doing this as a QAL but I kind of fell off the wagon. Not least because I really struggled to bring this block up to 11". And I just couldn't see myself doing a whole quilt of them, for whatever reason. But it was in the back of my head, and when I saw Hadley's GORGEOUS crazy scrappy quilt and realised she had done her blocks smaller, it made me think a bit more about it. Then, the other day, it jumped into my head and I got an idea for a mini quilt I could make with the scrappy blocks. So last night I took out my scrap basket and had the best fun running up these 4 blocks in my warm colours:

Link





I did them to 8" square and it worked so much better, they flew together and it felt completely different to the last time I did this block. I then trimmed back my green block to 8" to match.


Now I'm off this morning to take out my 2nd scrap basket with the cool colours and get going with the rest. The kids are fully occupied watching Jake and his pirates and the coast is clear for some serious Saturday morning sewing. Bliss!!

10 comments:

Manda said...

Love the tiny scrappiness of these blocks! :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Excellent!! They look lovely already!!

Lynne said...

Lovely colour selections in those blocks. Looking forward to the "cool" colours.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Love those fun blocks Sarah. I especially like the fussy cuts in the middle. Can't wait to see what you worked on today!

Kylie Lloyd said...

crazy patch is definitely not my thing but your blocks are really amazing. The colours just make the blocks.

Jessica Kelly said...

Wow! Those blocks are awesome! I always struggle with scrappy blocks like that, but I love the way yours turned out. That mini is going to be great! Can't wait to see more :-)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I really l-o-v-e those scrappy blocks, wow! They look like so much fun!! Can't wait to see what you make today :)

Jodi-JoJoMia's Place said...

These are soooo cute! I love the fun colors and the little cute pictures in the center. I like them smaller too, more focus on the center and not just a lot of surrounding fabric. Can't wait to see the rest.

Canadian Abroad said...

Those blocks look wonderful. I need tow hilt more, and then I will have more scraps, and then my scrappy blocks would look better. Conclusion? Must buy more fabric!

Lynette said...

I am so in love with these scrappy blocks!! If they come up missing, just come over to my house. . . ;D