Friday, December 30, 2011

Goodbye 2011!

FairyFace Designs: Mini Quilts 2011
2011 was the year of quilting for me. And a good year it was. I had so much fun this last year with this blog - it really took off for me in January and not only did I learn to quilt, but I discovered a huge circle of crafty, blogging friends out there. 2011 was the year I realised that I did, contrary to my very long held belief, have a creative bone in my body - more than 1, it turned out. The year I realised that online friends could be just as important as real life ones. And where I realised that, through your writing voice, you could be who you wanted to be and really be yourself because you are among friends.

FairyFace Designs: 2011 Quilts
2011 was not easy in some ways - but I don't like putting too much personal info out there for privacy reasons, so I'm not going to bore you with the details. But quilting and writing proved a welcome relief and an outlet for me from the stress. The comments I received brightened many a day. The fun and the wittiness of some of you continues to crack me up and I love the banter :-) Winning the odd giveaway, seeing my stuff featured elsewhere, having people make a quilt to a tute I wrote - all brilliant!


And now 2012 is almost upon us!! I'm still thinking about my goals - have you decided on yours? Is there anything you would like to see on FairyFace Designs in 2012? More tutes? More quilts? Another quiltalong? More giveaways? Featuring other bloggers/projects? Linky parties? Anything else? Any suggestions gratefully received!

I will be doing a mid-winter update on the Winter Stitching in the next couple of weeks so if you are taking part, start getting your posts ready for the linky!

I also have an exciting project starting in January for followers who love to ready sewing blogs but are new to sewing or haven't touched their sewing machines since their school days...watch for more information coming next week!

In the meantime I will leave you with some of my favourite makes from 2011. Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2012 brings everything you hope for.

FairyFace Designs: Fave Small Projects 2011

28 comments:

Lindsay Conner said...

What a thoughtful look back at the year--it's true that sewing/blogging friends can become just as important and accepting as friends who live near you! Would love for you to join our year-end linky party at http://www.craftbuds.com/craft-buds-2011-year-in-review-link-party.

Canadian Abroad said...

How you could have accomplished all this in a year, created the most successful of blogs, had a job outside the home AND still be raising a family is beyond me. Totally impressed and so pleased to be one of your online friends!!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

You have had a very productive year and I really enjoyed theAcross the Seas QAL with you and Jennifer.

Karen said...

I just put holiday stuff away and sadly, that included my tablerunner...miss it already. Amazing compilation of projects here! Nice work :)
Happy new year!

Reader Owl said...

just found your blog and am loving it: first the style and color, and also that you have small projects and bigger ones, and that a beginner can find things she can do and also ideas that challenge. Following in Pinterest and Facebook.

Basildon Kitchens said...

Love your blog - very inspiring! I'd love to particpate in a 'quilt-along'.

Happy New Year - may it bring health, happiness and inspiration!

Cindy said...

Happy new year to you, Sarah! It's been fab following you and your creative bones this past year. You're always a welcome source of inspiration and a giggle :)

Leanne said...

It is so nice to see all your wonderful projects together like this. I wish you a wonderful and creative new year.

Sarah said...

Wonderful collection of beautiful makes :-) Hope you have an equally beautiful new year!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I never thought this time last year that I would find my long lost twinnie! I have loved getting to know you this year, and am looking forward to more fun and games in 2012 xxx

Katy Cameron said...

What a fabulously creative year for you, glad it's seen you through some of the rougher times too, hope 2012 is even better for you :o)

Siobhan said...

Hi Sarah, It's amazing to see all the things you have made in 2011. I thought that I had sewn very little over the last year but when I actually looked back on photographs I realized that I had worked hard but I had enjoyed every minute of it. I always find your blog very encouraging, thanks for all the inspiration over 2011.
Happy New Year to you and I look forward to all your inspiring posts in 2012, Siobhan x

Kirsten said...

So many beautiful projects Sarah - wishing you all the best for 2012!

Nicky said...

Thanks Sarah - loved the QAL it made me want to FMQ and I love doing that now! You have given me so much fun and have enjoyed your supporting comments! Looks like it has been a creatively successful year and I'm looking forward to your next one!

sewhappiness said...

Love love love your projects Sarah!!! So here's to another more creative year!!!

Happy New Year!!!!
xoxo
eleni

felicity said...

what a lovely recap - I couldn't agree more about the online quilting/sewing community! I feel very fortunate to have some of your beautiful creations in my home. :) Here's to a wonderful 2012.

Catherine said...

hope 2012 is as good to you as 2011 was-can't believe you have made as much as you have: you must have a time machine!!

Needled Mom said...

What an amazing year you had. I wish you all the best in 2012.

Heidi Grohs said...

My witty banter better be what you are talking about ;)!

So glad I found your blog this year! Actually, so glad that I am even blogging. My sewing/quilting world became less lonely this year!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Helen said...

Dear Sarah,

A huge well done to you for all that you have achieved this year! To think that you only started quilting this time last year, I can hardly believe it; you have the creativity and expertise of a grand master

But even more importantly, I want to thank you for all the pleasure which you have brought to people through your blog. You have been an inspiration, a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, technical support and a friend.

On a personal note, I want to thank you for all the fabulous gifts you have shared with me this year, but most especially for me there is a little Russian Princess who will receive a quilt which she will treasure for life, and that means the world to me.

With love,
Helen

Sarah PingsAndNeedles said...

Yay! I wish you every happiness for 2012! Keep on busting that pedal to the metal! You've made such wonderful things ...

Nic said...

That's a great year. And I think you are among very large company when you mention quilting (or indeed any creative pursuit) as a great way to keep stress levels under control.
You have shown a lot of great projects here. But the one that really jumped out at me from the mosaics was the little purple sewing kit. Love it.

Charlotte said...

Great projects, where do you find the time? Happy New Year, hope it is a happy and productive one

The Sunflower Patch said...

Sarah,I for one am so glad to have come across your inspirational blog! Every bone in your body is creative for sure :) Love to read your blog and check out all the wonderful things you make!

Thanks so very much for my little owlie blocks ;)
Looking forward to another year of your sewing creativity and reading your journal about it :)

Eileen said...

lovely accomplishments!! think you and i must like a lot of the same colors! really impressive to see all you did and so many different types of things. thanks for sharing and have a great day

ScissorsandThread said...

I have just discovered your blog and am now following. Lovely 2011 projects, here's to 2012!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

You've had a really productive year - full of wonderful quilts and other beautiful projects! I hope 2012 is a marvellous year for you and yours!