Monday, June 3, 2013

Triangular Echo Quilted Placemats



So, about 9 months after starting to make some placemats as a gift, they are finally done! But I think they were worth the wait, don't you?

I originally started these placemats with a completely different pattern and fabrics, but made a complete mess of the quilting - absolutely unrescueable. And I didn't have the energy to start again. But back in March, I was inspired by Leanne's triangles miniquilt, and came up with an idea for triangular shaped placemats. I had a lovely bundle of grey and mustard prints from Lotta Jansdotter's Echo line, to which I added a FMF print that fit right in, and a pale grey Aneela Hoey print.


I made 4 placemats. A part of me really wanted to make 6 - not least for the great hexagon shape they would make when put together - but these are for my brother and his girlfriend and I don't think their table is big enough for 6.


Each of the placemats are different with randomly placed triangles.



They are quilted with white Aurifil 50wt thread on the front, and my favourite silvery-grey on the back. I quilted them in ever expanding triangles, working out from the centre in straight(ish) lines.


I'm really pleased with the textured effect the quilting gives. The lines are very close together - only 1/4" apart, so it's very dense.


For backing I used some Hope Valley on two of them, and the medium grey Riley Blake chevron print on the other two.



These measure approx 16" on each side and are big enough to take my humoungous white dinner plates, so they will work great for a more average sized plate.


I was going for a very modern, minimalist, non-quilty/crafty look as my brother would not be into that sort of thing. I think with the unique shape and the Scandavian type prints, and the cool palette, I achieved that.

They are bound using a dark grey dotty cotton poplin. I was going to use white, but my hubby insisted (when I asked his opinion on them) that they grey would be a better choice and looking at them now, I think he was right (though it pains me deeply to type that!!) I thought I was going to have issues binding those angles and couldnt find any tutes online but it was surprisingly straightforward in the end.



They're all ready to go in the post tomorrow. Another finish, so satisfying. I'm linking this up to the Finishalong too :-) I'm on a bit of a roll with finishes at the moment, more tomorrow!!

she can quilt

16 comments:

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

Those are great!
Carol

Nilya said...

Fantastic - love this shape!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Fabulous!

Fran said...

Great placemats!

Rosa said...

They are absolutely beatiful!

Di said...

I love the shape and the colours that you have used. They are so original. Di x

Judith, Belfast said...

These are stunning S! Too nice to use! Jxo

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Perfect, even the binding xxx

DeborahGun said...

They are fantastic :-)

Lori Kae said...

Absolutely fantastic!!

Nicky said...

Hours of fun playing with these! Gorgeous - I'm still wondering what to make with my hoarded Echo!

Canadian Abroad said...

I love these. Brilliant sign, Sarah.

Sarah said...

They look great. I love the pinwheel look when all their points touch. If your husband doesn't read your blog he'll never know you said he was right! I giggled to myself when I read the comment about it causing pain to say so.

Katy Cameron said...

They look fab, and your husband was right, but don't tell him I said that ;o)

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

They're great! :)

Rhonda the Rambler said...

These are amazing!!! Seriously beautiful...so modern and perfect!