Wednesday, June 5, 2013

WIP Wednesday

Its been a productive week here at FairyFace HQ, I think maybe the sunshine is making things flow easier and faster! In any case, I have a lot of projects that I've managed to finish/make significant progress on.

In addition to some very satisfying finishes, I have been making progress on my Made to Measure quilt (from the Handquilted with Love book).

 


This is the first medallion quilt I've made and I'm really enjoying the process.  After making the centre and the first border, I decided to add a teal/aqua border with orange and purple pops as I didn't want to get stuck in a pink and orange colour scheme. I doubted this choice a bit, and I really wasn't sure about the purple border 3 when I was making it. But now that I've put on the grey Loulouthi last border (I have been hoarding that print for just the "right" project for a long time!) I am delighted with how its looking, I love the jewel tones. The next border is going to return to pinks and oranges again - the brighter the better! But all those HSTs, especially the teeny tiny ones for the star cornerstones, make for a lot of work so I might take a break for a few days.

I've also been basting hexies in the evenings when I'm sitting down in front of the tv. I cut these from fabrics in my scrap bin one weekend using my Go! Baby when I was trying to make some room in it - I have over 400 of them! I gave some to a friend, and started basting the rest. Not sure what I'm going to make with them yet, but I need a new cushion cover for my sewing chair, and I'm thinking I may use them for that - particularly as there are so many favourite scraps from lovely projects in there. They're small - the sides are only 1" long, but because they are that size, they were perfect for some of the teeny tiny scraps I had.


I'll keep adding to them until I decide! I have a lot more than I need though so I'm running a little giveaway for 100 of them over on Instagram where I am @sewfairyface - head over there and check out my photo for details of how to enter.


This week's finishes include my Kona tumbler quilt:



And my triangular Echo placemats:


I also tackled one of Ayumi's lovely projects in her book Patchwork Please! - the Prettified Pincushion. I found this a little bit tricky to make - mainly because of the tiny little blocks, and working with the Essex linen was a bit different to cotton. (I also think baby brain had a significant contribution to my messing up the blocks more than once). But in the end I rescued it, and it turned out very pretty and is sitting proudly on my sewing table.


So that's my very productive week. Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced! 
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

18 comments:

Canadian Abroad said...

How are you so productive with a baby in the house?!! Loving everything you have made.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Very nice projects!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

You medallion looks amazing!! The fabric choices are brilliant and the other makes are fantastic too :)

cheeky monkey said...

You are amazing. So many gorgeous projects and the hexagons are adorable! This will be lovely

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the medallion, and those teeny wee hexies!

Kirsten said...

So many lovely projects - your medallion quilt looks beautiful.

DeborahGun said...

wow - you have been so productive. I love all your makes, but especially the medallion quilt - it is gorgeous.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Impressive! All lovely! The triangle placemats are particularly clever!

Susan said...

Very productive indeed! The placemats are wonderfully modern! And I am loving how your medallion is looking!

Nicky said...

Love your medallion quilt in the making! Great colours so keep going!

For some reason when I see that pincushion I the word petrified comes into my head not prettified! It looks fab and worth the effort I think!

Nilya said...

All so lovely Project.
BUT oh no, I am not at instagram but I loooove those hexies ;-)

Annabella said...

Wow - I absolutely LOVE your medallion - I'm sitting on my hands as I have the book and really want to make one - NOW! Gorgeous projects :)

Dianne Neale said...

Gorgeous. I really want to have a go, but I am resisting starting anything new!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Have you sold the baby!?

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

I can't believe how quick you whipped up that quilt top. Beautiful.

Little Island Quilting said...

Purple is such an under-used colour in quilts and I love how you have used it in your medallion quilt.

Marianne said...

I LOVE the medallion quilt. The fabrics you chose look amazing. You really have been quilting like mad. Love your work.

Unknown said...

Such gorgeous patterns! My readers at FaveQuilts would love them.

Kathryn