Friday, February 28, 2014

February Scrappy Finishes {Put Your Scraps to Work Challenge 2014}

So, did you have a good February? Did you make any progress in reducing your scrap basket and stash?

Mine was good :-) I probably worked more from my stash than my scrap basket but that's good too.

My properly scrappy finish was this lovely little Kindle cover for a friend of mine. I used the Whipstitch tutorial for the dimensions on this one as I'm pretty sure that the model my friend has is the same one, and I just changed up a couple of minor construction aspects to suit what I wanted to do - like the quilting and the closure.


My friend loved the scrappy look of the fabric basket I made last month, and the matchstick quilting on it so I went with a similar style here. I kept the front cover colours relatively cool and make this little birdhouse the main focus. The quilting shows up nicely - I used my absolute favourite Aurifil thread which is 2600, a light, silvery grey colour. It works great with so many fabrics and I love how it looks here.


I used a covered button and some ric rac for the closure and think it finishes it off nicely.

On the other side of the panel for the cover, I used some brighter colours - just to switch it up a bit. Love how bright and cheery this is, and there are some of my favourite prints in there.


For the interior fabric, I used a Lotta Jansdotter Echo print. This cover fits my Kindle very snugly, and mine is slightly larger than my friend's, so I hope it will be a good fit. 

 
 I can't wait to see what you've been working on! Link up below :-)



12 comments:

Susan said...

The Aurifil #2600 is my favourite thread colour too! It seems to go with so many fabrics! Love the kindle cover- I might need one of those! I certainly have plenty of scraps, that's for sure!

Kay said...

This is lovely, I really like the colour and fabric choices. Thank you for telling which thread you use a lot, it is always great to have such useful suggestions.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

love your kindle cover, it looks so padded as well. I am supposed to be making a book cover, this will gee me up

Schulz Family said...

Love the cover. A true scrap effort

Ruth said...

Love the cheery brightness of your Kindle cover. My scrap basket has taken a dent this month - I might even be running out of scraps! will try and link up before the week is out!

Anna said...

Wow, that is so cute! I love that style of cover,thanks for the link to the tutorial :) my kindle needs new clothes!

You matchstick quilting is fab, too. Adds such a lovely texture!

Heather said...

I've been using my scraps and stash too! In fact, I didn't buy any new fabric this month! Kind of a big deal for me!

Cheri the Quilting Nanny said...

Hello Sarah! You couldn't have done this Scrap challenge at a better time! I decided this year to work more with my scraps BEFORE I buy new fabric! So I linked up with the program! I also put your button on my blog and also a tab on my main page. And I did a linky on this page. I hope I can stay inspired to keep on scrappin'!
www.fabricandmemories@yahoo.com

Mokki said...

That's a great kindle cover! The scrappy-ness and quilting work really well together. I'm sure your friend will be made up with it!

Karen said...

Wow I love this! I need one for my nook. The dense quilting really makes this amazing :)

Katy Cameron said...

Excellent scrap usage, love the birdhouse :o)

Turid said...

I just found you, and I think I have to stay here for some hours. So many interesting things to look at and learn from. I love scraps. May be it's not to late to jump into this project, even if I missed the start? I can make a post for my February scraps, and post it before the link is closed.