Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Starting a new Medallion QAL......

Sewing and quilting do not bring out the logical in me. Nor, I suspect, in most of you either! Despite the fact that my Made to Measure medallion quilt top is still shaming me, hanging unfinished (but only 4 cornerstone blocks away from completeness) in my sewing corner, I still absolutely feel the need to start another. It's all Cindy's fault, obviously, kicking off a Medallion QAL over on the Modern Quilters of Ireland blog. If you want to join in, please do. You don't need to be a member, or even Irish, the more the merrier!!

I'm pretty intrigued by this QAL - we are going to be following Melanie's instructions to construct our own medallion design - so it's exciting and challenging and a little bit of a mystery. I have no plan yet. All I know is that I am making my Medallion a baby size one, as I have a few baby girl quilts to make.

I've been trying to pin down what pattern to use for my central block. I'm still not sure - but this is my inspiration.


Medallion QAL Centre Block Inspiration

Lots of prettiness in here, right? While I love some of the really complex ones, I'm not sure an unsuspecting baby girl needs to be the subject of my experiments with paper piecing. But you never know, maybe I'll be brave! I'm drawn to stars, but I've made lots of stars. So maybe I'll try something different. The retro flowers are calling to me too - I've seen this block set on point somewhere and like it a lot.

Anyways.....I'll mull it over for a few more days before deciding. In the meantime, here's my pretty little fabric pull - perfect for a little lady don't you think?





If you want to join in, please do. The first linky ends tonight (inspiration posts) or feel free to join in at the next linky if you want.

10 comments:

Leanne said...

The retro flowers also might be a four leaf clover, nice and lucky for a baby. I wish I had time to join in the project but I will enjoy watching.

knottygnome said...

Thanks for including my medallion in your inspiration post. also, thanks for reminding me that i have that quilt buried somewhere and i really need to get it back out and finish it.

good luck with yours!

Sonia said...

I'm really interested in seeing what medallions everyone makes! Stars do seem to lend themselves really well to medallions, don't they?! Have fun creating, Sx

Melanie McNeil said...

Thanks so much for joining me, and for pointing your readers to my blog. I had so much fun creating the material there and learned so much.

Looks like you have a great start. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Melanie

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

This could be interesting!

Canadian Abroad said...

Love your fabric pull but good luck choosing which medallion you do.

Cindy said...

I love what's in your mosaic - totally (well, mostly) doable and all would be lovely for a small lady. Your fabric pull is just yummy. Great start, S!

Katy Cameron said...

That Cindy, such a terrible influence... ;o)

Indianna said...

I like no 6 in your mosaic...the retro flowers would look fantastic around the border. Lovely fabrics too.

Unknown said...

I'm in! Have had a medallion on my "to-quilt" list for ages so this is a good excuse! Thanks