Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bliss pillow progress....

Thanks to the lovely Susan, I doubled my stash of Bliss scraps yesterday...even better, hers were darker colours and slightly larger scale prints than mine and I was thrilled with them!

So, I got straight to it today, pulled up the Sprocket Pillow tutorial and got cutting. Wow, what a great tute, its so straightforward and very easy - and such a nice result! Really pleased with this one. And I feel my colours and prints are much more balanced than the star pillow.


I really like the button detail in this one - and the scarlet Fresh fabric I used to cover it is the very last tiny scrap I had of this fabric - probably one of my favourites in the line.


I used a solid cream for the side, and its backed with some Freebird fabric (as is the other cushion) which I used to bind my Bliss quilt - its a nice complimentary fabric.


I also quilted and finished the scrappy star cushion. Looking at the V shape of the star points, I decided to try to echo it in the quilting, even though the star "V"s were not totally even. But I think it worked and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. The lines are 1/2" apart.


I put a zip in the bottom seam of this cushion and I made a silly mistake at the start and it took ages to sort it out. I had to put the kids out of the kitchen and close the door so that their vocabulary of choice expressions was not increased hundredfold! But it is looking ok at last!


Here they are sitting on my quilt - looking lovely together I think :-) I'll be making at least a couple more to join these on my two living room sofas. One will be zigzags, one will be from this Cluck Cluck Sew tute.... and I'm still thinking about more! If anyone wants to point me in the direction of a great pillow/cushion tute please do!!

Now, not having been online for more than 3 minutes at a time since Wednesday morning, I'm off to catch up on my blog reading!!

I'm linking up to the lovely projects over at:
Fresh Poppy Design

23 comments:

Manda said...

These pillows are both lovely! :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Wow!! I love all of these, well done you!

Christine said...

Lovely cushions .. Bliss is a gorgeous line.

The Sunflower Patch said...

Such pretty fabric,and the pillows are awesome :)

Canadian Abroad said...

Oh you have put the swapped fabric to good use. Really lovely to see the result. I haven't done anything with the fabric you sent me - yet!

Lindsay Conner said...

So pretty! I have a couple of Bliss prints, and this may be the inspiration I need to bust them out and making something. :)

Lynette said...

Oh, wow - the sprocket pillow is really neat.

Lynne said...

The quilt and the pillow are lovely!

carina said...

A good idea i like them very much greating from Holland Carina

Irina said...

They're lovely! I love this fabric line

Jessica Kelly said...

wow! I'm loving both of those! So so pretty, that sprocket pillow is awesome, I will have to give that a try!

Katy Cameron said...

Pretty cushions. I need to make myself a booster cushion for prolonged use of my sewing machine, still trying to work out what to make though!

SewHappyGeek said...

Wow, they're so lovely! You always do such a great job :) I so need to make a matching set for our bedroom, so I'll be bookmarking those tutes for future reference.
Thanks!

Krista Schneider said...

wow, beautiful! i love bliss, i have a ton of it waiting to become something(s) for my mom! These pillows would look fantastic on her couch :D

Christie describeHappy said...

I really like your bliss pillows! I also recently made a sprocket pillow and couldn't be happier with it! Makes me want to make another with Christmas fabrics!

Anonymous said...

oh how lovely!! You have done lovely things with a lovely fabric line!!
Love that round pillow especially.

xx

Anonymous said...

These pillows are absolutely wonderful! I love them both!

Miranda said...

Wow, great job on the pillows! Haven't been to your blog in a little while, you changed your banner. It looks nice :)

Jeanette said...

Love both pillows! Must go check out that sprocket tutorial now.

Seams Sew Together said...

Gorgeous Cushions and I love the fabrics

Nicky said...

Great cushions both of them - must try out that tut for myself as I love thst chunky look!

Allison said...

I love both of them! I'm glad the sprocket tute went well for you....your pillow sure turned out lovely! -Al

LisaAnn said...

Both of these are beautiful! I like the quilting on the star pillow especially!