Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Crazy Home Mini quilt

Here it is, my crazy scrappy mini quilt!

When I had done my crazy blocks I got the idea for the centre block. I wanted to display this mini somewhere in the house and have a perfect spot in the hall. I thought it would be a nice "welcome" type quilt to display. I appliqued the letters on and pieced tiny 1 inch squares in each colour around them to tie the quilt together.


For the same reason I decided to use a natural cotton/linen rather than a white solid - the blocks are so colourful that I felt they would pop almost too much against the white for the place I want to hang it and I wanted the tones to be a little muted.


I quilted it in a free motion stippled pattern using a natural cotton thread. I used a poly batting which is a higher loft than my normal cotton batting, which gives it a little extra body.


The binding is a colorful dotty fabric that I spotted on Monday when I went to buy some more white solid fabric at my local shop - its a lightweight cotton and is perfect for binding.


Quilt Stats:

Name: Crazy Home Mini Quilt
Fabric: Scraps & cotton/linen sashing
Batting: Poly
Size: 29" x 29"
Quilting: FMQ using natural cotton thread
Pattern: The crazy block tutorial from Aneela Hoey's Crazy Scrappy QAL.

Button

Another finish for my Summer Sewing list - I'll be posting the mid-summer check in linky on Saturday, so get your posts ready people! This is off to be hung in my hall to welcome us into the house. Its got so many of my favourite fabrics in it, scraps from lots of projects I've made, scraps I've received from friends in swaps - really, this little quilt has a lot of meaning for me.



I'm linking up to The Girl Creative:

The Girl Creative


as well as So You Think You're Crafty, Fantastic Friday at Iron Violet Designs, Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge.

26 comments:

Manda said...

This little quilt turned out so great! Lovely!

Cindy said...

What a happy mini-quilt/wallhanging to come home to! It will absolutely brighten up the space its in while showing off your talent. Well done!

Little Island Quilting said...

Nice welcome to your house!

Linda Coleman said...

The background colour is perfect against the bright colours in the blocks.

SewHappyGeek said...

Wow, that was fast! you just posted about the blocks the other day. It looks fantastic and will make a perfect wall hanging. I like the wonky blocks too. Usually wonky just looks weird to me but you've done a great job. Brilliant!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh, Sarah, this is SOOOO darn cute!! I love this little mini! And wow, how super fast of you :)

Leanne said...

This is beautiful, I bet it is fun to see it in your hall.

Kirsten said...

This is gorgeous Sarah!!

Jessica Kelly said...

Ohhh how pretty! This is just adorable, what a fun welcome to your home!

Kylie Lloyd said...

very cute. The crazy patch blocks don't really look like that pattern at all. I love it with the linen background.

Lynne said...

Very cute - I love that dotty fabric you used for the binding!

Karen said...

I love the end result. So colourful and refreshing. Great quilt!

Katie B said...

What a happy little quilt, Sarah!

Melissa said...

It is beautiful! Love the bright colors :)

sewhappiness said...

Have I ever told you that I love the things you make?? Well I do!!! this is the most darling quilt I've ever seen... where to start Sarah? colors, prints, combinations, that cute binding? I just love it!!! I can't take my eyes off of your pictures:)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I totally love it - it turned out so beautifully, the 'home' is a genius idea! xx

Judith, Belfast said...

Gorgeous! Too cute for words! Jxo

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and fresh ! Gorgeous!

pippablue said...

What a cute quilt! I love the spotty binding.

Karen said...

It's beautiful! and will look very welcoming in the hallway. :o)

CityHouseStudio said...

It's so cute, Sarah!
What a fun little quilt!

KendasCrafts said...

love it! the colors are great!

Wendy said...

It looks fantastic, the binding really sets it off. I love that Matroyshka block!

Charlotte said...

This is so sweet, I love it

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Gorgeous gorgeous, and the binding is, of course, perfect!

felicity said...

This quiltie is perfect in every way. I love it!