Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WIP Wednesday

Well, I've been a bit absent from the WIP Wednesday club these last few weeks. Managing to post at all with how busy things are at the moment is such a major success, I haven't been able to manage a WIP post as well. Plus I'm not working on quite so many projects as I normally do. But I thought I'd do a little update.

Completed this week:

Eh, nothing really.... except that I was totally thrilled to win 3rd place in the Weekly Quilt Contest over at Quilting Gallery, so thank you to everyone who voted for me, I so appreciate it. I can't wait to pick out my prize FQs :-)

Work in Progress:

I have a few things on the go actually.

I needed a small project to work on to balance the bigger quilts so I decided to make myself cushion (pillow!!) covers for some old cushions on my sofa. I saw a lovely scrappy star block show up on a few blogs for Bee blocks and went and had a look at the tutorial on Moda Bake Shop and then made some adjustments for my cushion cover size and to make it a little scrappier. Here's the front pieced:Link


I still have to quilt it obviously. I'm a bit unsure about this - the colour palette is a bit more pink / pale than I intended, as I only have a small number of Bliss fabrics. (Its to match my Bliss quilt on my sofa.) But my lovely bloggy friend Susan came to my rescue today and is sending me on some scraps which I will use for the other 2 cushions and hopefully they'll all balance out. I do love this quilt pattern - would definitely consider it for my month in the new Bee I've joined (more anon!)

My Kaleidoscope Quilt top is done (or nearly!) Thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions re: borders or not....I'm still mulling it over! Hoping to get this basted and quilted and finished this weekend!


I also have finally made some progree on my bedroom curtains...they're coming along slowly but surely, when I get some sofa time for the hand sewing. This is the fabric I'm using - it a gorgeous, rich, heavy champagne/aqua blue fabric and will blend perfectly in my room where I have a feature wall in a beautiful Laura Ashley duck egg blue wallpaper.



Other Stuff:

I'm really excited to have signed up for some Flickr swaps - the Scrappy Mug Rug Swap and For the Love of Solids. Looking forward to getting my swap partners and doing a little stalking ;-) I find swaps make you think a little differently and force you to be a little more creative, so I can't wait. I'm trying to see if we have enough interest for an Irish swap in the Sew Irish Flickr group - its for a small item so if you're interested, please pop over and let me know on the thread!


I also signed up for Jenna's Sew Bee Blissful which is the first bee I've participate in. Its starting in August. I'm a little nervous but looking forward to it! And lastly, I jumped at the chance to join Jennifer's Rainbow Charm Swap Round 2 having received a lovely bundle in the post last week!

Linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced - go check out the talented ladies over there!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

18 comments:

CityHouseStudio said...

Love the kaleidoscope quilt, Sarah!
And I'm super excited for the Love of Solids swap, too!

The Sunflower Patch said...

You are always posting such awesome projects! I am so glad that I stumbled across your blog Sarah :)

Judee said...

I like the fabrics you are using. I voted for you and am glad you did well in the Quilt contest.

Lee said...

Your kaleidoscope quilt is beautiful! I love the colors. And that's such a cute cushion/pillow, LOL. Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday. : )

Canadian Abroad said...

Every time I read a post like this by you I feel the need to go lie down and recover from the exhaustion! And you call this not so busy?!?

patchworkdelights said...

Love your cushion cover Sarah, pretty pretty pretty!

Judith, Belfast said...

Scrappy Star cushion is gorgeous! It's a really satisfying block to make - loving what we're doing with these blocks for a friend in our Brit Bee. Jxo

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love how your pillow cover is looking so far, and I really dig your kaleidoscope, too! How are you going to quilt it?

Clare Mansell said...

Just the mere mention of curtains makes me feel guilty. I also have curtains to make, but they're just not as much fun as quilts are they? ;-)

Melinda said...

The cushion cover looks pretty! I need to get sewing today!

Jessica Kelly said...

Congrats on 3rd place! Woohoo :-) Love that pillow cover, so so pretty!!

Melinda said...

Love that kaleidoscope, and your pillow is lovely!

Lynette said...

I really do *love* the fabrics in your kaleidoscope :)

Bree said...

Everything looks great. I really love your kaleidoscope quilt & the fabrics for your sofa cushion. Can't wait to see the others you make.

Michelle said...

Your kaleidoscope quilt is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Would LOVE to know what the name of your bedroom curtains are!!! That fabric is exactly what I am looking for.

clareb1981 said...

Hi - could you let me know where you found that material you are using for your bedroom curtains, its gorgeous and I want some too :)

Thanks Clare

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Hi there,
For the people who wanted to know about my bedroom curtains I don't know the name of the fabric, I bought it in Hickey's fabrics in Cork :-) (there was no email address on your profile so I could not email you directly back).
Thanks
Sarah