Thursday, July 19, 2012

Princess Charming baby quilt top

Don't you love a new project? One that grabs your imagination and gets you creativity flowing again?


When my mother in law asked me if I would make a baby quilt for her friend's new granddaughter, I was thrilled. There are lots of lovely fabrics in my stash and I wanted something colourful and cheerful, simple and bright. Not too taxing, construction wise.


I cut lots and lots of charms using precious scraps like the very last of my swinging girls, my owls, my willow wren and lots of other pretty ones. I added some Japanese charms from last year's swap. Soon, I had a big pile of gorgeousness just waiting to be laid out.


I thought about the pattern for a little while and then decided to use a modified version of 2 different patterns - this crib quilt from Moda Bake Shop, and Kristie's McKinley quilt pattern which I had made before. I increased the size of the crib quilt to make it wider, and want to do something a little like what Kristie did - i.e. applique and the baby's name embroidered.


I had lots of fun piecing this the last couple of days, it flew together for me and I intend on embroidering the name tonight so I can baste it tomorrow and get it quilted. 

22 comments:

Charlotte said...

This is so pretty for a new baby. Love the Wonky Star block.

my4lilgirls said...

Its beautiful, love the fabrics & colours :)
Karen x

Catherine said...

What a lovely bright and cheerful quilt, perfect for a baby and love the embroidery idea

Jessica Kelly said...

This is so sweet Sarah! Love all those fun charms, what a great quilt!

Sarah said...

Lovely colourful bright quilt, I'm sure it'll go down a treat!

Contented Caroline said...

That's lovely - I do love a simple quilt that shows off lots of different fabric. I might have to make one myself with Japanese Swap squares I still have not used yet.
well done Sarah x

Susan said...

This quilt 'sings' through your great fabric choices!! Lovely!!

Cindy said...

Woo hoo! It's fantastic! The colors are fantastic, the prints adorable and the pattern perfectly simple and eye catching - a great way to display your happy charms. Great make!

Cherie said...

Awesome quilt top! Such bright fun colours and the pattern really makes them stand out =D

Katy Cameron said...

Love the bright, summery colours and the I-spyishness of it :o)

JĂșlia said...

So beautiful & lovely fabrics!
Kisses from Spain

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Yep, lovely and beautiful and perfect and all that xxx

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

What a bright and beautiful quilt! Love the way you mixed and matched the fabrics!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

It's really gorgeous, I'm drooling over your lovely fabrics! Can't wait to see the embroidery! :) I love the idea of the row being blank for that... I might just have to steal it next time, who knows? :)

Leanne said...

It's beautiful, such beautiful and fun fabrics!

Katie B said...

Adorable!

Lynne said...

Simple but effective; very pretty.

Canadian Abroad said...

What a beautiful combination of fabrics. It is a lovely quilt.

BendingPins.com said...

I love this quilt, I don't know how you're going to be able to let it go!

OlgaDv said...

ĐžŃ‡Đ”ĐœŃŒ ĐșрасоĐČĐŸ ĐżĐŸĐ»ŃƒŃ‡ĐžĐ»ĐŸŃŃŒ! Đ–ĐžĐ·ĐœĐ”Ń€Đ°ĐŽĐŸŃŃ‚ĐœĐŸ Đž ĐČĐ”ŃĐ”Đ»ĐŸ :) (
Very nice work! Cheerful and fun)

Wendy said...

So beautiful. Such a simple concept but it works so well.

Alfred Albert said...

I appreciate your work, the post is extremely helpful. thanks for sharing with us.. Article Writing Services