Sunday, July 1, 2012

Wonky Star Mini Quilt

Anyone got some sunshine where they are? Care to send it this way?  After the wettest June on record here and massive flooding in my village this week, I am completely and utterly depressed by the weather. But although talking about the rain is all anyone seems to do these days round here, its time for me to focus on some sewing fun.

When we kicked off the Modern Quilt Guild of Ireland earlier this year, Cindy and Pam of the Atlanta Modern Quilt Guild organised a mini quilt swap. It all seemed very far away back then in April, but last week I realised that I needed to get this project done and in the post early next week to be sure it would reach my partner on time.


I had lots of scope in this swap - my partner liked lots of the same design elements I did and after having a look through the Modern Blocks book for inspiration I decided on the "3 wishes" block, with stars inside stars. I changed up the measurements a little to bring this up to approx 17" square, which was very simple to do as wonky stars are so easy to work with. My partner likes blues and my FQ basket has a huge selection of blues, so I decided to stick with that. I was able to find prints incorporating other colours and different shades and values of blue and even though I had some doubts about sticking to one colour, I really liked how it turned out. It feels fresh against the white.

I particularly love the tiny star in the centre - this was made with teeny tiny 2" pieces and the block measures only 5" square (unfinished).





I thought about how to quilt it and decided to settle down with some perle cotton and outline the star shapes. I used big stitches, varying the thread colour around each star shape. I like the simplicity of it.



Its bound with some LouLouthi blue and all ready to be posted off early next week to my partner. I hope she will like it! Meanwhile, I must try to finish organising my fabrics for my month as Queen Bee in the new Modern Irish Bee, as they need to go in the post tomorrow. Hope you're having a nice (sunny) weekend!



24 comments:

Beth said...

What a fun block. I really like the wonky border effect from the outermost star.

Katy Cameron said...

It looks great, sure your partner will love it :o)

Sarah said...

Its a lovely mini, I'm sure your partner will be happy to get it :-) (no good weather here either!)

Anonymous said...

I love this block :)

needle and nest said...

My goodness, that is such a sweet little quilt! You're welcome to as much of our weather as you like. I'm not really a sunshine kind of girl, which is bit of a problem considering I live in Northern California. Most of our summer is hot, hot, hot!

Carolyn said...

I really love this block! It is sunny and ex termly hot here in NJ. I love the sun, but will gladly share with you.

Susan said...

Love the mini quilt and I'm sure your partner will too! Cold and wet here too, but at least we're officially having winter!

Cherie said...

We have had a weather cocktail, both shaken and stirred!

Love the mini quilt the colours outshine the awful weather. Love the hand stitching =D

Chelsea said...

This is fabulous! I particularly love how you varied the thread colour, but only slightly so it's very subtle. And we've been having miserable weather in this corner of Canada, too. It's 2 pm and I'm bundled in a quilt!

cheeky monkey said...

I am a fan of blue and stars. I love this miniquilt. I am so sad I could not take part and hope you all have a great time :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Totally lovely, you will have a lucky partner there for sure x

Quilterbell said...

Very pretty Sarah, what a lucky partner!.

Di said...

Gorgeous mini quilt. The quilting with the perle just makes it! Di x

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous mini Sarah - love the tinny wonky star in the centre and the blue handstitching!

Heidi Staples said...

This is just perfect...the hand stitching is the icing on the cake!

Judith, Belfast said...

Beautiful mini S! Looking forward to getting my MIB July fabrics. Jxo

Lynne said...

Cute! We have sunshine but we need it. It's so cold here this winter! Sorry to hear you've had flooding.

felicity said...

Lucky partner! Sorry to say I have no sunshine to send to you. We've had a similar June.

Nicky said...

I'd love it!

Sorry no better weather here!

Strawberry Patch said...

gorgeous mini!

Carli The Quilter said...

Sunshine is in short supply here in Northern BC as well. The weatherman has been fired I'm sure, he's told so many lies this spring. But our slow melt did not lead to a spring flood so that is a blessing!
Love this block, so fresh and sunny!

Bree said...

Gorgeous! I love how it turned out, and your quilting is perfect for it.

Salsy said...

Love what you have done. I have been enjoying that book too...so many great blocks and so little time...

SIMPLESEW said...

INSPIRING,,, I would love to copy this with your permission, I have a Quilt Bee called Liberty and Justice, for the military families, I think it really should be a star, and since were in the USA, its red,white and blue... thank you for sharing