Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Circles Quilt Top

I. am. in. love.

In LOVE.

Totally in love with this quilt top.


Sorry, did I overdo that up there at the start? That's because.....you guessed it!!

I finished up the quilt top for my little boy D on Sunday afternoon. I think its safe to say that he is in love too. It's a nice big generous lap size, measuring about 60" x 65".

I love the movement, I love how all the work fussy cutting the applique was totally worth it (thank you dear hubbie for helping me with the applique!). I love how this quilt contains some of my very favourite boys' prints. Some came from the very very bottom of my scrap basket - fabrics I had forgotten I had - like Laurie Wisbrun's elephants, Ann Kelle's owls, Michael Miller's hedgehogs and Saffron Craig's Beetle bugs (I really thought I had used all those last year).



You will remember last week I was deciding on the colour for the sashing. A lot of people agreed with my turquoise idea so I went off looking for some. I couldn't find turquoise, but I did find this gorgeous blue. The fabric label calls it Sapphire but I think its more like a Peacock blue. Whatever about the semantics, I am so pleased with how it works with the grey and the circles. I was a bit concerned that the grey would be a little dull as a background for my little man, who loves lots of colour. But the blue kind of electrifies the quilt (if that makes sense) and the whole thing just pops. It's so vibrant and exactly what I wanted for him.




I need to baste and quilt this one next...not looking forward to the basting. The effort of basting the Stained quilt left me in bed for most of the day afterwards - I felt so ill - but that was maybe a combination of the basting spray and early pregnancy hormones and utter exhaustion. I think I might pin this one. I'm planning to quilt this pretty simply - cross hatch to outline each of the squares, and the hand quilt around some of the circles as in the original pattern.


Now I need to decide on what project to start next! I'm looking at my Birds and the Bees fat quarters....

I'm linking this up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

  WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

28 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

This is very cute!! I did a circles baby quilt not too long ago. Loved it too!! Should be very nice quilted.

Linda said...

It turned out to be just beautiful!!! I'm sure he does love it!

Kelly said...

This is just fantastic! It makes me excited as I chose this block for my Bee month and now cannot wait to put it together :)

Kirsten said...

Love all of the cute fabrics in there and the aqua sashing looks fabulous!

Cherie said...

The quilt top looks incredible! Circles always give a great effect. The sashing works really well! =D

Di said...

Great 'boy' quilt with lots to look at. It is lovely. Di x

Sarah said...

Its a fab top, love the bubbly fun prints!

Katy Cameron said...

Woohoo, well done, it looks fab :o)

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Fantasti top! The blue is a perfect choice to showcase all those fun fabrics! Great job.

Beth said...

Great quilt! When I was first looking at the pic three down, I thought - look at that cool baseball fabric but then realized it was floral fabric - was that intentional or a happy accident or am I the only one who sees it?

Ginette said...

Looks terrific!! The blue is absolutely perfect!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I love this...but I love the fact that hubby helped...way cool!!

sewhappiness said...

It looks awesome Sarah! And the sashing looks amazing!!! Can't wait to see it all finished!
xx

Deb said...

It looks fabulous. Lots of cute little things to catch his eye.

Mareenchen said...

It's absolutely gorgeous. I can understand why you'd be so excited about it. The sashing works wonders to make the circles pop out. Stunning!

Cindy said...

Yippee! What a fab quilt for your little man! Great, great job.

Lynette said...

:) It's a very easy top to be in love with!

Cliodana said...

i understand completly why you're in love this quilt top is beautiful. love the circles.

Jessica Kelly said...

This is awesome Sarah! I do LOVE that blue as the sashing, I never would have thought of it, but your right it really does "electrify" the whole thing! What a lucky little boy :-)

Alex said...

cute version of an eye spy quilt! love the sashing color for a little boy.

Katie B said...

This is awesome! I love the I-Spy nature of the quilt, and--you're right--the blue is electric!

Helen said...

It's gorgeous! Your Little D Man will love it!

Lots of trains, cars and bright colours!

salamanda said...

Stunning - he will love it

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Absolutely gorgeous and that blue is perfect! Love all the cute fabrics too. ooohhh the birds and the bees, look forward to seeing what you do with that!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

love, love, love all the fussy cuts

felicity said...

You have every reason to be in love with this beautiful quilt! Yay!

Leslie said...

this is so playful and cute. fun!!

Lynne said...

I can understand why you love it - it's so bright and happy.