Sunday, September 1, 2013

Liberty Circles Progress


Back a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to receive some Liberty fabric from Ali's lovely shop Very Berry Fabrics to play with. Ali sent me a selection of 6" charms in mostly greys and blues. I had already decided I wanted to do a Drunkards path pattern, but put off cutting them for a little while because I was too busy stroking their buttery softness. And slightly scared by how fine they were, fine generally equalling slippy and difficult to sew in my world.


But I finally got my courage together and used my Go! Baby to cut the blocks out. I still love my Go! Baby for cutting blocks like these (and hexies, of course).


Ali sent a little information sheet about sewing with Liberty lawn with the fabric and it was so helpful. I swapped out my needle for a size 10, took it nice and slow and my blocks came together just as easily as normal quilting cotton would. As always I used Leanne's great method for sewing curves.

Soon I had loads of little blocks all ready to play with. I find my blocks never look perfect when I'm laying them out but then they sew together nicely and I can't see the flaws any more!
There are so many possibilities with Drunkards path layouts:
Circles



Half circles


Bridges




And loads more! But in the end, for a small project like this - a cushion cover - I decided I liked the flower layout best as it was so self contained. I also decided to limit the fabrics to the blues and dark greys as I thought it was more striking like this. I'll use those pretty neutrals in something else in time.


Once I had it sewn up and a border round the edge, I was thrilled. I need to decide on quilting next. Hand quilting will definitely make an appearance, but I'm trying to figure out whether to add some machine quilting too.

I'll be back to Ali to start collecting a selection of her gorgeous Liberty charms because I imagine a whole quilt made with these would be so luxuriously soft - I can't resist! Check out her shop for more eye candy!

13 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Oh I like it too!! Interesting how many different options there are. I love the colors Sara.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

beautiful! I adore DP blocks and just the other day decided I need to do another DP quilt. I love the different layouts.

Nicky said...

Excellent choice of block and fabric! A quiltful would be glorious!

Katy Cameron said...

Ha, I've been using some of Ali's wares today too :oD Love what you've done with them!

Melissa said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the flower layout!

Leanne said...

It's beautiful and I am glad you are still rocking the curves. That video that I made for you has, in the end, become somewhat popular.

Judith, Belfast said...

Lovely variations there S! The sizzix DP die is on my Christmas list!! Jxo

Very Berry Handmade said...

It really does look fabulous. I love the different layouts - I am thinking that there are some drunkard's path die blocks on my wish list!

Isisjem said...

Great use of charms. I will try a DP one day but probably only when I have access to a cutting machine as I know I will not cut them accurately enough to sew them together and not have them look like a dogs breakfast!

cheeky monkey said...

It is so beautiful! Love the layout

Cindy said...

That's totally my favorite layout. Looks fab!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever google "fairy face designs"? The image results are pretty funny. Very literal.

Anyway, I love love love your Liberty Circles! So pretty. You chose the right layout for sure.

DARIA DESIGNS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.