Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My very own fabric heaven....


 

A little while ago, my good friend and enabler of my fabric addiction, Miss Cindy, asked me if I would put together a blogger bundle for her shop. I think she heard me squealing in glee all the way up in Galway while I did a little dance of happiness I gave it some mature reflection, then went back and told her that I would be delighted.

Ever since blogger bundles started appearing in fabric stores a few years ago, I was fascinated by the process of putting a bundle together. I've taken part in blogger bundle challenges, and, of course, I love putting together selections of fabric myself. I've never been hugely into buying bundles from one line of fabric (obviously there have been a couple of exceptions) because I much prefer to pick out fabrics myself.  So this was a little bit of fabric heaven for me.

I browsed and I picked, and I tried out various combinations until I arrived at this

 But you never know how its going to look till you see the fabric, really, do you? Screenshots aren't the real thing ;-)

Cindy sent me some lovely photos - I thought it looked great. 


And then I got this lovely bundle in the post (cue more squealing)


I stroked that bundle quite a lot the first few days I had it in my possession. You know when you really, really fall in love with a bundle of fabric? This was it, but even better. This bundle is everything I love about modern fabric. Bright, vibrant saturated colours. A mix of different print scales. Delicate prints, big bold beautiful prints. A colour mix that is totally me.

From ever before I had the bundle in my hands, I had plans for it. My sofas are in need of a bunch of fresh new cushions. And I had the perfect pattern in my sights, this one by Little Miss Shabby for Sew, Mama, Sew!

Saturday morning, I got cutting. Then I got sewing. (Eventually, I tore myself away and fed the near-starving children, then banished them outside into the spring sunshine so I could sew in peace.) I finished piecing and basted it, then settled in beside the fire to hand quilt it.


I had done some playing with my perle cotton, and come up with these thread choices. The following evening, I did the back and sewed on the binding. (I even did a lovely zip insert and for the first time ever I think the back of my cushion looks great but I forgot to take a picture in the excitement and I'm too lazy to go do it now.) And I got this:


 This was the proof in the pudding for me. I love how those fabrics play together.

I hope you like it too - you can buy the bundle here.









8 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, beautiful selection there

Andee said...

It is TOO cute!

margaret said...

yes you certainly have put a nice selection together here and the cushion looks so good with these fabrics

Cindy said...

Amazing you still have a voice left after all of that squealing :) I'm delighted that you like it - thank you so very much for the time and energy that went into creating it! xx

Debra said...

Beautiful work - I would be squealing too if someone sent me those fabrics!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Stunning bundle and cushion!!

Tomomi McElwee said...

Beautiful cushion cover. Love the quilting too!

Kirsten said...

Such beautiful fabrics - really love the pretty pillow you made too!