Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crayon Box Modern Mini Quilt

 
I'm really excited to be taking part in Jennifer's Modern Mini blog hop! So much inspiration to be found out there :-)

Modern Mini Challenge 

When I heard about it, my mind started ticking over and lots of ideas started to flow. I love making mini quilts, I particularly love them for trying out new techniques. Most of my mini quilts have been for this purpose, and because they are so small and manageable, this is really achievable! If you want to have a look at other mini quilts I've made, pop into my Finished Quilts page, where they have a little section all of their own down the bottom!

I'm (still) in love with fabric rainbows, and Kona coal so at the weekend when I was having a little bit of fun with my sewing machine, I decided to play around with an idea I've had for a little while. I didn't really have a plan for how I was going to make it - as with many of my mini quilts, it just evolved. This was a very straightforward make, and if you want to do something similar, I have outlined the basic steps below. It's primarily improv piecing, so you can structure it how you like!

First, I cut 2" strips of 8 colours of varying lengths. They ranged from 12" to 20". Then I cut the same of Kona Coal. I pieced each coloured strip to a strip of coal.


Next, I cut some wider strips of Coal - between 3-6" wide. First, I pieced the pink strip to a wide Coal strip and pressed my seam. Then I placed the red strip right sides together at a V-shaped angle across the wide coal strip. The top of the strip was at the outer edge of the wide Coal strip, and the bottom of the red strip met the bottom of the pink strip at an angle. I pieced together, using the edge of the red strip as my seam guide. I cut the excess fabric away from the seam and pressed. Next, I turned the excess fabric I had trimmed (which came away as a V shaped strip also) upside down so that I could place against the red to make the next V shaped gap. I continued this way across the colours, varying the angles, varying the length of the coloured strips, till I got to the end. I added some coal around the edges to square it up, then straight lined quilted in approx 1/4" lines radiating out from the corner in the Coal. I love how the quilting makes the coloured strips really pop out!


I bound in Coal as well to keep the focus on the colours. Once I stood back to take a picture, I realised what it reminded me of - a bundle of crayons! Perfect for hanging on my playroom wall :-)


It measures 23" square and I just love it! I hope you do too. Thanks so much to Jennifer for inviting me to take part in this blog hop - I can't wait to visit the rest of the participating blogs. Now, the big question is - should I enter this mini in the contest? Or should I try and work out another idea that is rattling around in my head? I suppose it all depends on how much time I get at it :-)

In case you missed the original post - pop over to Jennifer to find out the rest of the info and links for the blogs participating!


Pin It

35 comments:

Katie B said...

Love this quilt! The design is simple, but it makes a real graphic punch.

**nicke... said...

i really love this! very simple but very complicated all at the same time. i love the quilting also.

Leanne said...

It is a wonderful mini and I especially love the quilting! The coal background is wonderful too, really makes the colours sparkle.

Sarah said...

Lovely, thats a whopping amount of quilting too! Looks great :-)

Danny Heyen said...

So cute! Love it!

felicity said...

Love love love!

Lynette said...

OK, why do people keep putting EXACTLY what pops into my head? ;D "SOOO Cute!! I love it!" Really, truly, is my instant response, and here Danny just said it first. ;D

Judith, Belfast said...

Cute mini S! Jxo

CRAFTY WOMBLE said...

I did hop back and look at your others, the dresden mini is amazing - it looks perfect. I like this pencil one to - but then am a sucker for the rainbow colours!

my4lilgirls said...

Gorgeous mini quilt, love the striking colors, really shows what modern quilting is & how amazing it looks
Karen xx

Rachel said...

I absolutely love this quilt! So simple, yet so stunning, ooh, wouldn't it look fab as a full sized quilt?

Canadian Abroad said...

As always you surpass any expectations and produce something spectacular. Love you mini!

Katy Cameron said...

Fun wee mini, love the quilting

Cindy said...

I really love your mini.

Nicole said...

I love the dense straight line quilting on this. It looks like it took forever! What fabulous texture!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Very cool Sarah! Such an inspiring piece! Thanks so much for being a part of the blog hop!

Anonymous said...

I love it! So colorful and the quilting finishes it off perfectly!

Laura said...

I am such a fan of rainbows and I love this quilt.

Brandie said...

Love it!

Carrie P. said...

great little quilt.

Kelli said...

It is absolutely lovely! So simple, but the graphic design is just WOW! Great job, Sarah.

Nicky said...

Great graphic quality to this quilt!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love the texture of the quilting!

Kirsten said...

Such a gorgeous quilt Sarah - I really love how the colours pop against the coal and the quilting is fabulous!!

Annabella said...

This is gorgeous Sarah - packs a real punch and love the rainbow colours against the grey, and your quilting is beautiful. This hop is such fun!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Adorable! I love the quilting, the colours do pop! Great name too :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Love it x

Sheila said...

Great mini, fab quilting.

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

I saw this yesterday, but could't comment. I can today and want you to know I think your mini is fantastic!

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Brilliant rainbow loveliness!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I adore this mini, Sarah!! So sophisticated!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

I love the quilting on this! Beautiful!

Kersten said...

Love this!!

Sheila said...

Look at all that quilting - good luck Sarah!

Sheila said...

This is a great piece! I love the Kona coal too.