Sunday, February 26, 2012

Under Construction.....

So, I'm sorry I've been pretty absent here for the last week or so. Life is busy at the moment! Until today, I barely sewed a stitch for the last 10 days, having work home with me lots of nights. I hardly managed to get online most nights either so I'm very behind in everthing. Eeek! Hope I get to catch up a bit today and tomorrow.


The only thing I have been working on has been my big swap item for the For the Love of Solids Swap. I decided to make my partner a messenger bag, and am following loosely the pattern in Lisa Lam's The Bag Making Bible. I'm not making it a laptop bag, as I think I would really need to use home dec weight cotton for that, so I've tweaked some of the detail in it, and I've added a pieced front, back and flap.



 It's almost a year since I last made a bag, and I forgot how much I love making them! There is a lot of prep work with interfacing etc, and that can be a bit tedious, but its nice to have a change from making quilts, and making something three dimensional is a different kind of challenge and lots of fun. This book was recommended to me by more than a few people and it really is great, with good explanations of lots of new techniques, to take you beyond basic bag making skills.

First, I made the flap for the front of the bag. I pieced some strips of coloured solids, in a variety of different lengths. The strips are 1" wide finished. I pieced these to 2" strips of Kona Ash, and then applied fusible fleece to the back. I quilted it in straight lines in the Ash, and then I decided to bind it in the same colour as the lining fabric for a bit of extra detail and I am very happy with how it turned out:


Next I made up the front, which will be underneath the flap, so not too much detail here:


And for the back, I stuck with the same theme but changed the layout a little, using 3 unfinished strips to give it some additional movement:


I sewed on the gusset then (seriously hate that word!) and I have the exterior of my bag done, yippee!!

I have the lining all interfaced with fusible fleece, and pockets inserted. One for a phone and the other for pens, wallets or keys. The colours aren't coming up too good in this but its a lovely shade of green and I've used aqua for one set of pockets and a brighter blue for the other.


All that remains is for me to sew up the lining pieces to make the interior, attach the outside flap to the exterior, sew the lining to the exterior and finish off with the strap and the magnetic buttons. I should be ready to post this by the end of the week :-)

I hope my partner likes it, I think if it all continues to go smoothly it will work out to be a nice swap item. I still have to think of my small item though!

And I promise I will do my best to reply to emails and catch up on my blog reading this week, I feel like I have been AWOL for far too long!

22 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Welcome back! Hate it when the day job interferes with play... ;o)

Love the bag you've been making (and I love that book too!) can't wait to see the end result :o)

Catherine said...

Lucky partner:-)

Debbie said...

oh my - I would be so thrilled if I got this bag! It's awesome! Love your attention to detail!

Canadian Abroad said...

I have no idea how you manage to do all you do! The bag looks amazing and your partner will be thrilled. Now go sit down and take rest, please!

Colby said...

I love that bag! You should do a tutorial on it. I haven't seen one for a messenger bag anywhere.

Leanne said...

The bag is going to be wonderful and don't worry about being busy, we are just happy to hear from you when you have time.

Karen said...

Wow, gorgeous bag! Great choice of colours. :-)

Karen said...

Wow, gorgeous bag! Great choice of colours. :-)

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Oh I know how you feel. I haven't been able to do any of the little projects that I have wanted to try. The bags looks wonderful. Love the straight line quilting. Can't get enough of it at the moment.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Hello you - loving your flaps!

patchworkdelights said...

Looks amazing Sarah great job! X

Lynne said...

Looking good!

I hope this week is a little less hectic for you.

Helen said...

Wow Sarah, I love it, the colours are so vibrant!

It reminds me of the TV Test Card.

Fantastic work! Your partner is a lucky person!

Nicky said...

Your bag is delightful! Your partner is being spoiled!

I have that book but as yet haven't made anything from it!

Kelli said...

I have also been in a sewing blah lately. Love the bag! What a way to come out of it.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Wow, that bag is brilliant!!

CitricSugar said...

I wish *I* was your partner! WOW! Love it.

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Wow what a lucky partner you have, it looks wonderful.

Di said...

Georgeous bag. Looking forward to a full reveal. Di xo

Sarah said...

Oh that's gorgeous, your partner will love it I'm sure!

Dianne Neale said...

Lovely bag. I rashly promised to make one for my friend for her birthday! I have a nice pattern but it's in czech!

felicity said...

Looks great!! I hate when life interferes with my quilting time too. Nice to have you back. :)