Wednesday, February 15, 2012

X and + Zip Pouch finish

 X + zip pouch

Today I finished off the X and + zip pouch I have been working on for my partner in Mouthy Stitches. 

X + zip pouch back    

I used a hot pink zip in the pack as a feature, and inserted a lined zipped pocket into the outside of the pouch. I love how the zip looks against the linen and the green lining fabric.                                          

Zip pocket detail 

I also added a strip pieced from squares of fabric used on the front, and hand quilted along either side with perle cotton.

 Hand quilting detail 

The lining is some Amy Butler fabric I have in my stash a long time, and it was just right for this project, adding a bit of zing to the inside of the pouch. 

Lining detail

I boxed the ends to give a flat bottom, and this pouch at approx 9" x 9.5" is perfect for holding handsewing supplies, a little hoop etc, it is nice and roomy. 

Despite all the things I love about it, I was disappointed with how my main zip turned out. I worked really hard to try and get the zip ends perfect, but with the fusible fleece and the extra layer for the pocket, it was really bulky and practically impossible to sew through (I broke a needle and bent another before trying a size 16!!). I ripped it back and redid it 4 times trying to get the zip ends just right but it wasn't to be, so I just finished it off. They look all squishy, not nice and neat and crisp like they should be. 



Zip detail 

The question really is now whether its good enough to send off to a partner. I hate sending something not right. And yet there is lots to love about this pouch, and I never really notice the zip ends on a pouch when it is something I have in use. I'm torn really. If I don't send it, I have plenty I can use it for here so its not wasted. But its a shame to do everything right up to the very end and feel like you fell at the last hurdle. What do you think? Honest opinions please!!

P.S. If you're here for the Modern Mini Blog Hop, you'll find my mini quilt here

25 comments:

Aleisha said...

I would send it. I would be proud to own a bag as beautiful as this one. It's lovely.

Kelsey said...

It's beautiful! I would definitely send it. You're welcome to send it to my house :)

Carla said...

aren;t you the clever one. fabulous!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

so cute. I love the double zip.

Heidi Staples said...

You're too hard on yourself...it's a beautiful pouch. I get insecure with my lack of perfection too, but we can't let the fun get out of it. I'm sure your swap partner would agree.

Sarah said...

Oh send it! Then mine wont be the only one with ever so slightly sucked in ends... lol Nah, I think its absolutely gorgeous and it'd be terrible not to send it just for that.

Karen said...

It is gorgeous!! Send it :)

Annabella said...

What`s not to love?? If you are in any and I mean any doubt, send to me!!!!

evamarie said...

Please send! I hope your my secret partner!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Send it! It's beautiful. I WOULD love to know that was on its way to my house. It would get lots of love.

Marg said...

Definitely send it, it's beautiful. I would be over the moon if it came my way. I think you're too hard on yourself, but I understand. After all the work I put into my pouch, the zip ends were not as good as I hoped they would be.

Courtney said...

Send it! But that used to always happen to me too, then Jennifer (Ellison Lane) taught a mini class at our MQG meeting & showed us how to get perfect zippers - you have to ask her about it! life changing!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, especially with the hot pink zip, send it!

Jessica Kelly said...

I love it! The design is perfect, and the double zip is awesome, I say send it, if it were me, I'd love to be on the receiving end!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It's gorgeous! Send it immediately! I've never got my zip ends right and I don't care! The extra pocket is brilliant and I love the colours and design. you rock!

Cindy said...

I'll put you and your partner out of your misery and just take it right here in Galway.

I love it! Send it, send it, send it! xx

Sarah said...

Send it! I will forgive squishy zip ends for all its other beauty!

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Oh you have to send it, it is simply gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

yes i would send it,if it was me receiving it i would be very happy,well done.xx

Dawn said...

If I am your swap partner, please send it my way!

Victoria Paige @ Boutique Uniquely said...

It's so lovely! Lucky partner! :)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's beautiful! Send it!

Jules said...

looks completely gorgeous to me!, never noticed the zip until you pointed it out. and it still looks awesome.

felicity said...

Definitely send it, Sarah. It really is beautiful.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I realize I am really late (been so very busy at work) but I wanted to be sure and tell you how much I love this pouch. Great job Sarah!