Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WIP Wednesday


I can't believe its Wednesday already, the days are just flying by! Here's what I've been up to this week.

Completed:

My Fresh Pinwheels baby boy quilt. I was really happy with this one, and a little bit sad to let it go!

Fresh Pinwheels quilt finished.jpg 

In Progress:

I have a couple of projects in progress this week. One is my Ruby quilt. I am making this using Oh Franssons! Crazy 9 patch lattice pattern, but sizing it up a bit. This quilt is made in multiples of 9, and I had 42 pieces in the layer cake. I really need the 45 blocks to make it the size I want and was cursing myself until I remembers some large scraps I had leftover from my Bliss cushions. I dug out 3 and cut to 10" squares and they work perfectly with the palette of the Ruby.


 I love making these blocks and am flying through them, I have 36 out of the 45 done - 27 of them last night in my own version of Ruby Tuesday :-) and will get the rest finished today. I love how they are all different, and I love the movement in them. Even darling hubbie who was doubting the requirement for another sofa quilt in the living room is now converted! I'm hoping to get the quilt top assembled this week and need to order some more batting before I can then move it on.

I am planning on piecing the back of the Skittles quilt and basting it this week too. I have an Egyptian cotton sheet for the back, and I have a big panel of Saffron Craig fabric that I am planning to piece into the middle of it. The colours are similar to the front and I think it will be a nice feature on the back.


Then, the plan is to machine quilt along the block outlines, stitching in the ditch, and hand quilt the rest of the quilt, around each of the print fabric pieces. Its promising to be super cold this weekend here, so this is the perfect project to have on the sofa in front of the fire.

I am also making progress in my ideas for my partners in the For the Love of Solids Swap and the Mouthy Stitches swap. I have this lovely rainbow of solids for my FTLOS partner and am watching the response coming in on Flickr to see what she thinks!

Fabric selection for FTLOS 2


And I have this option for my Mouthy Stitches partner, which I think will work, although I also have another idea in mind for her, so must do a pull for that too and see which she prefers.

Fabric option for zip pouch

Starting Out:

I am starting another quilt this week too - nothing like having lots to do. This is the long awaited quilt for my son D. D is mad about trains so I have a nice train print to feature heavily for him. We went through my fabric boxes last night and this is what we picked:



Nice, right? But he also picked these:



Now, they just don't go with the rest. He loves purple. He loves the letters. How am I going to do this. I'm thinking I will put them on the back. What do you think? It is his quilt, for him, but I won't be able to make it if I hate what I'm working with, I never can get projects finished if I don't love them.

Any advice?

I also signed up to the Doll Quilt Swap 12 - my first time doing this swap, there are some great guidelines there to challenge your creativity and I am looking forward to it.

I'm linking up to the talented ladies over at WIP Wednesday. See you there!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

27 comments:

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

ooh, lots of great projects! Love the progress on your Ruby quilt. And I love what you've pulled for the swaps so far. Making me miss swapping! :)
I think you should add the odd fabrics to the back of your sons quilt. It will bother you to no end if you add them to the front!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You've got a lot happening too! I'm also in love with the Ruby fabric collection :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

What a lot of scrummy makes and fabric...
Maybe fib that the c.1934 is for Daddy's Valentine's present, 'lose' the middle 2 (he'll forget!), and make a drawstring bag or something small from the hedgehogs.

If it was really me, I would just put them all back in the box and say no more about it, I am a mean mummy xxx

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

On the back sounds great! You are too busy for one person...lol Very nice work

Leslie said...

you have an amazing bunch of projects!!! i love seeing your ruby blocks and piles....i am working with it right now and i love love love it

Melissa said...

Your ruby blocks are stunning - love that pattern!

needle and nest said...

I love your Ruby blocks. That color combination is one of my favorites. As to your dilemma with your son's quilt... I guess my advice would depend on your son's personality. You could conveniently "forget" about them, but some kids (like my oldest) have very looooong memories so that might not work. You could also be honest with him and say that you took a look at all the fabrics together and those just didn't work with the rest. You could then offer to make something else with them - maybe get him involved in choosing that special something just for him.

Good luck! :)

Sarah said...

Eeek.. feel like I've been subconsciously copying you! Did the "off the rails", am planning my Ruby, and am in both swaps... lol Good luck hiding the odd fabrics, cant you tell him that you've got enough with out them so you'll do a wee mini pillow with them to use with his quilt?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Lots of beautiful things here. I'm just getting ready to start my Ruby Tuesday quilt too, for a baby named Ruby!

CRAFTY WOMBLE said...

I always think it is a good sign when you don't want to let something go, means I know I've done a good job ;) Now I know I'm not your MS partner too much pink in pull 2!

Heather D. said...

Oh my goodness, so many beautiful things! I love those crazy 9 patch squares.

In Black and White said...

Will he remember that those fabrics are missing when he sees the finished product? Maybe leave them out of the quilt but make him an extra "surprise" with those?

Heidi Grohs said...

It has been hard to focus on your writing....all that fabric yumminess is VERY distracting!

Cindy said...

I really like your wonky 9 patch - haven't seen that before!

Lee said...

So much pretty stuff, as always! Love those crazy 9-patch blocks. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I love your pinwheel quilt and those crazy nine patch blocks!

Jessica Kelly said...

wow! lots of beautiful fabric going on! Can't wait to see what becomes of it, LOVE those solids. as for your sons quilt, I say use them on the back!

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Sheez, you're busy! out of this lovely lot, I particularly like the skittles and the solids.. as for the train quilt, fussy cut the black and white letters and applique them on somewhere?! x

Annabella said...

Oh you can`t have hime getting his mits on your text fabric, so I fully endorse Hadley`s comment. How old is he? Trains sound so much quieter an interest than dinosaurs. Love your skittles quilt Sarah!

Kelly said...

Some beauties here! I love the pin wheel quilt and your fabric choices for the swaps.

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the Ruby quilt. Perhaps you can make him a quillow, where the cover is those fabrics and hidden on the back...

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Great projects, I love that ruby!
I'm mean like Hadley and would put them away - you could use them on the back, will he remember seeing them?? ;)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, so many lovely piles!!! I especially adore those Ruby blocks, they look great!

Lynne said...

Some great eye candy there!

Rachel said...

I am pretty sure I saw a train themed quilt and a pair of pillow cases...LOL...

Leanne said...

I love your projects! I would make him pillow cases or throw pillows with the small pile and the quilt with the rest.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

So much to look at in this post and it's all wonderful! If your son really wants the 'other' fabric in his quilt (and you'll think he'll remember he chose it! then could you applique a train in one block and incorporate some of it? Maybe fussy cut/fuse some of the letters to make the name of the train and make the purple into clouds of steam and put a (giant) hedgehogs on the line ahead? Or make a label with a scrappy border and put it there...or you could just hide it!