Sunday, April 17, 2011

Better Late than Never


Ok, so I didn't manage to do my Friday Night Sew In on Friday night. My parents were visiting and I could hardly disappear out to the kitchen and sew for hours as I planned! I did it today instead. But that still counts, doesn't it?? Maybe I should clarify: - my plans for the FNSI when I signed up were to finish the inner and outer circle of my Dresden circle for the Lily's Quilts quiltalong.

I was a little nervous about piecing the circle but thanks to Lynne's great instructions, it was pretty straightforward. I had been procrastinating on doing this and now I know why - I wasn't happy with the blue background I had originally chosen.



There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, it works really nicely, it just didn't feel as.... well, as "fresh" as I wanted. So I went with with some Ivory white Kona cotton instead. I do love it and can't wait to quilt it now! And I'm pretty pleased that I've caught up with the QAL too, so I'm all proud of myself :-)


Even though I didn't manage to sew the Dresden on Friday night, I still did some hand-sewing while I sat on the sofa watching the new Harry Potter DVD. I had the bones of this tag comforter sewn up ages ago but it had gone into a pile of stuff waiting for me to do some hand embroidery on it to complete it. I finished off the seams and some decorative embroidery, including the name on the back and it turned out to be a cutey!

With no work this week I'm hoping to get seriously productive on the sewing front, children and life permitting...so watch this space!  I'm linking this up to Fabric Tuesday on Quiltstory and some other great blogs - check out the links in my sidebar!

16 comments:

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Love your dresden with the other background...I think you made the right choice!!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Nice work - it's all come out beautifully!

Jill said...

The circle on the quilt is fantastic! Looks tricky! and your comforter is beautiful too!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

abeachcottage said...

Well done. Love the circle of your quilt. Also adore the fabrics you used.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Sarah, your dresden circle looks great!! I think it looks wonderful :)

KendasCrafts said...

Great job on the dresden block! I have that on my list of things I want to learn some day.

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

I LOVE the dresden block! I've wanted to try one myself but I've been a little intimidated by it. Yours is just beautiful!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower! These sewing projects look amazing! Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration.

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

LOVE your dresden - your fabric choices are just gorgeous! I just started quilting (ok, I made 1 toddler sized quilt, but that counts right) and I am oh so intimidated by circles! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)

Kristen said...

I always love those Dresdens! Cute fish lovie too!

Stephanie said...

The lighter background really makes the colors pop. Nice job!

SewHappyGeek said...

I love that little blanket! I think I'll be making one as a baby gift really soon! I have a piece of fleece that I wasn't sure what to do with, but I love your tags with minky idea there.
If you have a second, I'd be thrilled if you linked it up to my Manic Monday Linky Party
So glad I stumbled across a fellow UK craft blog!

Angie in SoCal said...

Great job! Nice comforter too!

Wendy said...

Nice job! And I agree with you on the background. Looking forward to finally doing a dresden one of these days myself.

Diane said...

YOur dresden circle looks wonderful!

Quiltstory said...

Love the dresden, darling! Thanks for linking up!