Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dresden mini quilt - finished!!!



Here it is, my Dresden plate mini-quilt, all finished and looking quite cheerful if I do say so myself!! This was the first quilt-along I've ever participated in, and I really enjoyed it. I can't recommend Lynne's instructions highly enough - it was the first time I've pieced a circle in quilting and she made it a doddle! If you want to do similar yourself, you could do worse than head over to her blog and follow along.

Lily's Quilts QAL

I am glad that I only did the one block mini-quilt. I think this will make a super pretty wall hanging but as the blocks are so big (30" x 30"), I'm not sure if a whole quilt of these big blocks would be entirely my taste, although I'm very tempted to adjust the pattern and do a quilt with smaller size blocks in the same style!

I backed it with plain white cotton. I used poly batting on this one as its for the wall, but its very see-through and anything coloured or patterned would have shown through batting and the white outer circle on the front. And when I came to bind it, although I would have preferred to use the blue or brown fabrics I have in the circle, the only fabric I actually had enough of was the Riley Blake Love Birds, so I used that. It turned out nice though and the blue, green and red running through it coordinate quite well with the pieced circle.



When it came to quilting, I was seriously tempted to do spiral circles all the way round, as in Lynne's original block for the QAL - but I wanted to practise my free motion quilting for the It's a Hoot quilt which I will be starting to quilt next week, so decided to go with this. I'm getting better all the time at the FMQ. It took me a while to get going on this quilt but once I got a rhythm going with it, it went well. I now have a good feel for the speed I need the needle to work at, and the speed I need to move the quilt at. But I need to figure out a better way to move the bulk of the quilt around particularly for the bigger quilt sizes. I was so pleased with the improvements I've made, I even took a closeup!! What do you think, its looking ok, isn't it?



So, all in all, a good Saturday's work! Now I just need to see if my mother really does want this.... if she doesn't, I'll be quite happy to keep it for myself, but I think she just might! I'll be linking this up to Fabric Tuesday and some other great blogs - check out my sidebar links!

Lastly - I want to say a huge WELCOME to all my new followers! I'm stunned and amazed at the response to my giveaway, and so pleased to have so many people join me. I hope you enjoy reading my little blog. I couldn't possibly respond to the hundreds of comments left for the giveaway, but I did read each and every one and I want to thank you sincerely for all your lovely words on my blog and my projects. It was so nice to realise that people had explored my previous posts and liked what they saw. I hope that you continue to read and, please - keep commenting!!

26 comments:

Tanyia said...

oy I love it! The colors you worked with are fabulous. I can not wait to learn a little more as a Dresden design really appeals to me!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

So beautiful! Great work!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Brilliant quilting missus!! Can't wait to see the big 'Hoot' in it's full quilted glory!

Nikki said...

Love it, looks fantastic!

Karen said...

Lovely work, well done, I haven't even put the corner pieces on mine yet!Your FMQ is great :o)

sewhappiness said...

It looks amazing!!! The colors and your FMQ are just perfect!! I can't think of anyone not wanting this piece of art!!! I know I would:)
Have a great weekend!!
xo
Eleni

Sherry said...

It's beautiful!

The Sunflower Patch said...

Beautiful :) I have never done any FMQ but want to try it soon! Kind of nervous about it tho!

Jodi-JoJoMia's Place said...

That is sooooo beautiful. I love your fabric choices.

Kirsten said...

This is so lovely Sarah - and your FMQ looks great too!

patchworkdelights said...

Looks lovely Sarah well done you! Fi

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

How adorable! I've been getting into sewing lately so I will definitely be back to check out your great projects! =)

I would love if you would link up your project to our {What I Made Wednesday} linky party this Wednesday. Your project could be featured! =)

Briana @ Sweet Peas & Bumblebees
http://sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

Michelle L. said...

That is gorgeous - what fresh fun colors!

Anonymous said...

My mom made a similiar mini quilt like this many years ago. It was more traditonal colors, but I really like the fun colors and designs you used. My guess is your mom will love it, so you'll be making another one for yourself!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

It looks great, Sarah! I love how this mini turned out!

CityHouseStudio said...

Love it, Sarah!
It makes me want to make a Dresden!

Jill said...

Beautiful! They look so tricky to make! You did a fantastic job!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Kelsey said...

Beautiful!

Bree said...

Love it! Did you use a ruler or create a template? I'm oddly scared of dresdens :)

KreativChaotische ZwillingeFrau said...

Hello Sarah,
i love your dresden mini too. I bought last year a ruler, but my to SEW-List are soooo long.
Hugs from Germany
Marion

Kristen said...

I always wait a few days and then look at the quilting. I always like it then. Yours looks wonderful!!

Oxford Impressions said...

Looks beautiful. Excellent work and your FMQ is very nice as well! I love everything you do!

Unknown said...

Very pretty! Nice work.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Such a pretty Dresden Plate! They scare me, but maybe someday I'll be brave enough!
Mrs. Hearts

SewHappyGeek said...

Hey, I am featuring this today on Feature Friday with SewHappyGeek! Come get a button if you like!

Pamela said...

A beautiful quilt. Love the colors you put together. Your free motion quilting is perfect.

Following from The Girl Creative.

Blessings,
Pamela