Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's a Hoot quilt top finished!


 Can I just say that I love and adore this It's a Hoot fabric? It's so summery and bright and cheerful. And I love being on holidays from work, I got so much done last night when I wasn't wrecked after a day at the office, and again this morning. So much that I got this quilt top finished!

 You know how I love to put names on my quilts, I can't help it, I just do! So I'm calling this one "A Walk in the Woods" - isn't it apt? I was really pleased with how it came together although I noticed one or two seams that I'm not happy with when I was taking photos, I need to do a little repair work to strengthen them up.

 

After I put all my blocks together with the sashing, I decided it needed a little something extra and I had lots and lots of scrappy 1.5 inch strips left over from cutting the framing strips, so I pieced them all together randomly to form a little extra sashing line around it. I'll be honest and say that I got the idea from the sashing on the Dresden quilt top I'm doing for the Lily's Quilts QAL so I have to credit Lynne for that! I do think it draws it together though.


And happiest of all, we had a nice day here today so I could get some good pics - I love the ones of it blowing in the wind so apologies for indulging myself with lots of pics! Look at the blocks though, aren't they pretty? I love how the white space in the "tree" blocks creates its own little spatial pattern.



I have ordered the backing and binding fabric but it will be next week before it arrives from the States so I'll put this away for a few days and take a break from it now. I'm linking this up to Fabric Tuesday on Quiltstory and some other great blogs - check out the links in my sidebar!

38 comments:

Lindsay Conner said...

Love this fabric line! So cute what you did with it--nice job. :)

KendasCrafts said...

So colorful! I love it!

Carol said...

That extra little scrappy border sets the quilt off so nicely. I really like this.

Stopping in from Fabric Tuesday. My link is http://carolburris.com/quilting/string-pieced-place-mats/ ‎

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

So beautiful! They look like they're all in their little picture windows! Great job, I love it!

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

this is so fun! And you are right about that little boarder, it ties it all together! Nice job!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It's turned out so delicious! My layer cake is now down to the teeniest scraps, ie. about an 1" and I can't bare to chuck them!

patchworkdelights said...

Looks fantastic, so colourful!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

This looks fantastic, I just love it, Sarah!!! Great job :)

JustPam said...

I bought a fat quarter pack of this to make a quilt for my granddaughter. So cute, I can't wait to start working with this fabric.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

OH I love it! that extra skinny border is too fabulous! I'm never that patient to do that. I'm always in a hurry to get it done. ;) That really makes the quilt.

noga quilts said...

Beautiful quilt top! It's a Hoot is also my favorite line, and you used it in the beat way. The pieced border is so clever, really sets the quilt off, congratulations!

Cindy said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Really nicely done. Did you use a pattern for this or make it up as you went along? I'd love to make something similar :)

Melinda said...

Adorable! I have no idea what seams you are talking about correcting either! We're always so critical of our own work...

Jen said...

I have been eyeing that fabric for a while, but I keep telling myself to use what I have! I love this top though! So beautiful. I would love to have you come and share this at my Fantastic Friday link party. http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I love how the background really sets off those gorgeous blocks!

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

SO adorable!!

Thank you for linking up to What I Whipped Up Wednesday! xo

Jocelyn said...

Looks gorgeous! What an accomplishment!

Oxford Impressions said...

You make the cutest stuff. I always look forward to seeing your newest project. Can't wait to see what you got for the backing and the binding!!

CityHouseStudio said...

This is so, so pretty, Sarah!
I love this line of fabric, and LOVE what you did with it!

All Things Fee said...

Beautiful!


Would love for you to share at Calling All Crafters, today!
http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/calling-all-crafters-4th-edition.html

The Sunflower Patch said...

Found your blog through the Manic Monday Linky party! Love the extra border, it makes the quilt pop!
Would love to have you over to my blog for a visit :)

Charmaine said...

Wow, this is so bright and sunny; I love your choice of fabrics. Thanks for sharing.

http://licklepickle.blogspot.com/

~Carla~ said...

Gorgeous! You're right about the border, it really gives an extra *POP* to the quilt! Love it! :)

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

I LOVE the scrappy sashing! That is so fun! This quilt is gorgeous--I love all the bright colors. Beautiful work!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

SewHappyGeek said...

Wow - that's so awesome, I love it!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

This really is such a happy, sunny quilt and thank you for the mention on the scrappy skinny sashing - it looks lovely all the way round like that!

Canadian Abroad said...

You have a great eye for colour. Wonderful quilt.

julia said...

what a fabulous quilt - love the skinny scrappy binding!
any plans on how to quilt it`?

Dana said...

LOVE that fabric where can i get it?, im in the uk!

Nikki said...

what a gorgeous quilt, love the colours the blocks the skinny sashing, I want one :)

Lesly said...

Oh it's the bomb - I love the cheery fabric in this quilt and that thin sashing around each block does it up a treat. Great finish!

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

This is really lovely. I love that fabric and you've really made a lovely job of your quilt top!

Nicky said...

I do like that random extra sashing line - it really works! Great line of fabrics and great quilt!

Debbie said...

Love your Hoot quilt! The skinny border you used really added to the whole.

Manda said...

Its beautiful! You've picked a great name for it too!

Miki Willa said...

I really like what you have done with this fabric line. It really shows the fabric well. I especially like the colorful inner border. It is really wonderful.

Erica said...

These fabrics are so gorgeous & you've used them to great effect. x

tusen said...

looks lovely, and the scrappy border is a great idea.