Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WIP Wednesday #9

  


I can't believe we're at Wednesday again already! It seems like about 5 minutes since I was writing last week's WIP report. This week has been a dramatic improvement on last week (it wouldn't be hard!) and I'm feeling much more energised. Maybe the prospect of being on annual leave from work from Friday afternoon for 10 days is helping :-)

Completed this week:


I had one finish this week, my Floating Away mini quilt . I love this little one and it seems, from all the comment love in the last few days, that you all did too! Thanks so much for your lovely comments, I'm so inspired by them all and it gave me such a boost after a really exhausting few weeks to get such a great reaction to a truly improvised piece. I have now hung it on the wall over the staircase and even Himself approves!

Work in Progress:

My It's A Hoot quilt. I have all 20 blocks done now, some of them are a little off but I will be able to fix up any little errors when I join the sashing between the blocks. I constructed a makeshift design wall on my kitchen wall this evening with an old flannel cot sheet to lay it out and after playing with lots and lots of combinations of the blocks, this is what I think I'm going with:


I'm sorry the picture quality is rubbish, the only space I had to do this layout is under some spotlights and I had to use the flash to get any kind of focus (and it's still not good) - but still, it gives the idea of the layout. What do you think? I found it a bit tricky getting the colour balance right, this is the closest I've come. I'd love any feedback you might have!

I've been thinking about what colour to use for the sashing between blocks. I was tempted to use an Ash gray type colour, but I've finally decided to stick with white, I'm not sure how it would work in the gray and I'm not sure that my 8 year old goddaughter would like it! I might use up some of the scraps left over to do a little detail in the border, I need to measure it to see if I'll fit it in. And I need to order the backing fabric for it, and fabric for binding. I think I'll use one of the brown or gray dot fabrics for the binding, but still need to decide on the backing.

My Lily's Quilts QAL dresden block:

 


I was planning on piecing the inner and outer circles for this on Friday night as I've signed up for Friday Night Sew In over at Handmade by Heidi. But I now think that I'm not going to be able to do this as my mum and dad are visiting for the weekend. Hopefully I might do Friday night sew in on Sunday night instead!

Other Stuff:

I have a few projects hanging around waiting for some time - the Cosmo bag, the curtains, a 2nd matching mug rug for one I did a few weeks ago. I also have a few projects I need to get started. I'm hoping next week when I'm off work, I'll get some quality sewing time in to catch up :-)
And finally....my Sherbet Pips giveaway fabric arrived - over half a layer cake of it and its GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much to Kristie over at Obsessive Crafting Disorder. I'm thinking of using some of it to make this quilt in the hope that one of my pregnant friends will have a baby girl!

So, for this week, that's all folks! I'm linking up as always to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.

18 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Love the It's A Hoot so much - don't change it a bit and white will look lovely - if you want Hooty backing, try theses chaps, as I got a great deal on my dresden backing (the turquoise, white and brown floral).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120701616904&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

KimT said...

Love Its A Hoot. The colors really appeal to me and I think you are right on in choosing white!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's a Hoot is gorgeous. Such a beautiful fabric line. Your balloon mini quilt is very cute. I have a little girl who would love one just like it :-)

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I love your balloons!
The Its a Hoot quilt is looking fantastic!

Sheila said...

Love your quilt, white is right, will keep things very fresh.

Amy said...

love the balloons.so cheery.it's a hoot looks fine with the layout you have there.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love your It's a Hoot quilt so far, and I think that white is the right way to go, definitely. I like your layout, it looks like a lot of fun!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

The It's a Hoot quilt is beautiful! Sadly, none of your other photos are coming up for me, not sure if it's my computer or what.

Dee said...

The balloon quilt is so incredibly sweet! I just love the happy smile it gave me this morning.

The It's a Hoot quilt is as lucious as a fresh strawberry! Oh my how yummy!

Unknown said...

Great job on your It's A Hoot blocks, I can't wait to see it finished.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I really like It's a Hoot! And your dresden plate. I would love to try that as well, but I need to finish up some other things first! :)

Jerimi said...

"Floating Away" is ridiculously cute! And I love the "It's a Hoot" fabric. Great job!

JuliePickles said...

I'm loving the It's A Hoot quilt too! I'm making a string quilt with it and am having so much fun working with those bright happy colors.

Leanne said...

I love your blocks and I think your layout is wonderful!

Diane said...

Love that Hoot quilt! Those blocks are great and I think the choice to use white sashing was a great one!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Both very cute; but I simply adore the balloon quilt...too cute

Anonymous said...

what lovely work you do,well done

Lee said...

Oooh, I love your dresden! And the It's a Hoot quilt is looking incredible. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )