Friday, March 30, 2012

"Flower Path" mini - Doll Quilt Swap 12

Doll quilt finished


Last night I finished off my binding on my "Flower Path" mini quilt for the Doll Quilt Swap 12. I love this little Doll Quilt! I used the Drunkard's Path die on my Go! Baby to cut the pieces and I love how this arrangement works.

Doll Quilt handquilting closeup

I hand quilted it with perle cotton, matching the threads to the colours for each quarter, although the quilting in the centre is unique to each side, inside the circle on the front, and outside it on the back.
Even though I used very bright and vibrant fabrics in this, the overall effect is a little bit muted against the silver grey solid I used...but this was a pleasant surprise. I think if I had used Coal it would have popped much more, but this has a delicate feel that I adore.

Centre of back of doll quilt

I made a little label using one of the leftover pieces of fabric from the cutting, using a laundry pen to write the details, and securing with some Bondaweb and a blanket stitch.

Doll Quilt Label

The binding is a dark grey dotty poplin, I love how it frames it. I auditioned about 10 different fabrics for the binding and wasn't happy with any of them, and then this fell out of the back of a box of fabric yesterday and solved my problem!

Doll Quilt back2


This little mini measures 16" x 16", so it really is a smallie. This is all ready to go in tomorrow's post with some chocolate and some scraps. I really hope my partner will like it.

Doll quilt received


And that will leave me all done with the DQS, as I received my gorgeous quilt during the week all the way from Sharon of Lilabelle Lane in Australia! I can't tell you how much I love it! It's just perfect - fab colours and eye catching design! I also got some choccie all the way from Down Under, which has since vanished!!


Thanks so much Sharon, I really love it :-)

25 comments:

Lee said...

What a beautiful little quilt! Love the hand-quilting.

Judith, Belfast said...

Gorgeous minis! Love those tiny wonky churn dashes! And your stitching is lovely S! Jxo

CapitolaQuilter said...

They are both wonderful. The hand stitching enriches yours so much, nicely done.

Sharon B said...

Very pretty and orginial take!

Jessica Kelly said...

what a great little mini Sarah! Love the hand stitching, and the binding is the perfect touch :-)

Jennie said...

I love both the quilts and the hand quilting really finishes it beautifully, but I have a fairly silly question - what makes cotton poplin different from regular cotton?

Ellen said...

It's just charming and reminds me of a garden. Beautifully done - I'm sure your partner will love it!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your quilt it beautiful--the hand quilting adds so much! The little wonky churn dash blocks in the other mini are such a cool idea!

Karen said...

Wow, these quilts are beautiful! You DQS girls sure are talented! :o)

Linda said...

Those are gorgeous! I love the colors!!!

Leanne said...

You quilt is so wonderful, I love the stitching and you have those curves totally nailed. And you also received a great one too, good for you.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Two wonderful quilts! I love all the hand quilting on yours!

Canadian Abroad said...

Love your design! Want to make a big quilt like that. And you received a lovely mini too. Great swap.

Katie B said...

So sweet! Your hand-quilting is the perfect finishing touch.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Another swapping triumph!

Cherie said...

Looks gorgeous!!! =D

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Love your mini - the back is inspired, especially your label! x

Susan said...

The Drunkard's Path mini is absolutely lovely! Not sure how you could bear to send it away!

Katy Cameron said...

Love both your inbound and outbound minis there

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

So pleased you like you mini. Now it has arrived I feel like I can visit your blog and leave comments, no stalking! hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

such lovely mini's,well done ladies.xx

Nicky said...

I love the mini you made and the one you received! I'd be delighted with either one and both!

Cindy said...

Woo hoo! Both quilts are fab! What a great bunch of happiness running in/out of your house :)

felicity said...

Your quilts are so very special, Sarah! Well done!

patchworkdelights said...

Wow love those quilts Sarah, spectacular colours, well done! Fi