Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WIP Wednesday

It's Wednesday and I actually have some progress to show you this week, which is a really nice feeling after the last few weeks!

Completed this Week:

My Solids Swap package went in the post on Monday. This package has a little bit of a journey to its destination and I'm hoping that it doesn't take too long. I think my partner will be happy with it!


In Progress:

I managed to make progress on 2 big projects this week.


First up, I got all my pieces for the Stained QAL cut from my Little Apples FE bundle. Thanks everyone for your advice on the sashing options. Hadley suggested I use a yellow print rather than a solid and I think, after looking at it again last night, that this might be the best option, so I'm off to the local fabric shop after the school run this morning to try to see if I can find some yellow dotty fabric. I'm keeping the Coal as a reserve option, but my gut feeling is that it might be too dark for a little girl.

The other project I managed to move on was my Skittles quilt. The quilt police would be vastly unhappy with my backing on this one! I used a whole cloth piece of Klona solid, its a pale purple shade, and I had a Saffron Craig Magical Lands panel I wanted to work into it. But I didn't want the panel all in one piece, as there is so much movement in the quilt top. So I cut it into uneven pieces, echoing the shapes on the front, and then, instead of piecing them into the backing, I appliqued them on. I didn't have enough fabric to piece them, which was my main consideration, and I didn't want to order more. I actually am pretty happy with the result, even if it's the lazy woman's way out :-) I hate the way it looks all crinkly in this pic - its actually basted pretty well!



However, one of the reasons I didn't want to spend ages on the back was that I wanted to hand quilt this one. Once I had it backed, I quilted around the blocks using stitch in the ditch. Then I took it off to my sofa last night and got started on the hand quilting using a deep purple perle cotton. I love how its working!


This is a project I want to have to work on for a little while, so I'm in no rush to finish it. It's perfect for picking up on an evening I am to tired to do any sewing at my machine. And I love quilting with perle cotton. I just need to find  my thimble, as my finger is still sore this morning!

I'm linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday. You should pop over there and visit the other talented ladies linking up!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

21 comments:

patchworkdelights said...

Looks all great Sarah love your handstitching. Oh I'd better get on and get some work done myself!X

patchworkdelights said...

Looks all great Sarah love your handstitching. Oh I'd better get on and get some work done myself!X

Susan said...

Oh, your stitching looks great! Saffron Craig fabrics are lovely!

Canadian Abroad said...

Oh your quilting looks fabulous! Nothing like a winters evening to tuck yourself under the quilt that you are working on. Love that cosy feeling when actually accomplishing something at the same time.

Marg said...

Your hand quilting is lovely.
The solids swap package is fabulous, someone is very lucky.

Nicky said...

A very beautiful quilt! Love the stitching!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh my, Sarah, your hand quilting is just stunning! Love the thread color you chose, it's so beautiful :) And your solids package is great too, I'm sure your partner is going to love it!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Sarah your skittles quilt is divine! That hand stitching is just perfect :o) I love Kate Conklin's patterns and magical lands is one of my fave Saffron Craig fabrics! I have a couple of panels of it waiting for the right project. You may have inspired me somewhat...

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I have some of that Saffron Craig begging to be used!
Good luck on the spotty hunt xxx

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Oh my! I'm sure your partner will love it! They're beautiful! Jealous...

Linda Beth said...

I love that you consider applique instead of piecing "lazy"!! Enjoy the hand quilting of that skittles quilt - it looks like it will be a gem! And I am so in love with that messenger bag you made for the Solids swap! No doubt that whomever receives it will be in love with it too!

Leanne said...

I love your solids projects and the new quilt is beautiful. Enjoy the hand stitching.

Teresa F. said...

your solids projects look great. the stitching is fabulous.

Cherie said...

Love the solids project!! The bag and pouch look great! Love the sneak of the quilt. Hand stitching is rather relaxing. I still have my quilt to work on =D

Katy Cameron said...

I love your FTLOS package, and those skittles are fab!

Kirsten said...

I love your Skittles quilt Sarah - it will be really beautiful with all of that the handstitching !

Lucy | Charm About You said...

The Skittles looks gorgeous!! Enjoy the slower pace :)

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Is it too much to hope that I am your partner in this swap too?

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Gorgeous quilt - love the hand quilting!

Lee said...

Wow, that hand-quilting is stunning! I'm so impressed. And your solids swap package is so cute. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

Debbie said...

I am so in love with your solids projects!! What a lucky partner you have!! Just beautiful!