Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day and Rainbow blocks

Today, as I think everyone in the world knows, is St. Patrick's Day. Our national day of celebration. My kids think it is to celebrate St. Patrick throwing the snakes out of Ireland. And to go to parades. The adults know it is usually a nice extra day off work!! This year, I decided to be clever and suggested we watch the BIG parade in Dublin on the television instead of going and spending ages getting parking and walking into town, freezing our little toes off at the local parade, getting bored after 3 floats and then fighting our way back to the car through the crowds. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I am a genius. Exactly as predicted, 3 floats in they went upstairs to play a game and I got to sit around on the sofa drinking a coffee in comfort. Hurray! Much more relaxing than anticipated. We fitted in arts and crafts and nail painting too, as well as some sewing (me) and long involved games of Barbie (her) and trains (him). Himself got to watch the rugby in peace.


Anyways, it being mid March, and St Patrick's Day, we had a typical Irish day of weather involving beaming sunshine, torrential rain, hailstones and now freezing temperatures all within the space of 6 hours. Plus a MASSIVE rainbow in the afternoon.

So I decided it was time to show you some of the blocks from my month in Sew Bee Blissful. I was Miss February but somehow the month managed to escape me without me posting about it at all. I decided it was time to use the charms I collected from my 2 rounds in Jennifer's Rainbow Charm swap last year, and spent ages poring over patterns before deciding to use the gorgeous starflower block that Jennifer did a great tute for


Here are some of the blocks - I took these pictures last week, so more have arrived since then but I was too lazy to go out and take some more (plus, I was afraid of getting hit with another freak round of hailstones!)

Aren't they pretty? These blocks make my heart sing a little when I see them. They're so bright and cheerful and the girls in my Bee did a fab job with them.


 Look at the colours cartwheeling around! I decided to go scrappy with this, so each colour petal is made of 2 different fabrics, I think it adds lots of interest.7

 I can't wait to get the final few blocks (thanks to the postal service, some of the fabric got lost!) and to get it put together. I would love to use as a picnic blanket but I think the white wouldn't hold up to that... I'll keep thinking about that one.


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

41 comments:

Linda Coleman said...

beautiful blocks Sarah, love the colours

Linda said...

The blocks are wonderful! Irish weather is akin to the weather here in Nova Scotia where lots of people are celebrating today.

Katy Cameron said...

Don't be silly, everyone knows it's the day to boost Guinness' profits ;o) Himself shouldn't have watched the rugby either, very depressing. I'm not looking forward to the post match dissection with my dad on the phone tomorrow...

Anywho, the blocks look fab :oD

Canadian Abroad said...

Loving the starflowers. It is exactly what I want to do with the two packs of rainbow charms I got in Emily's swaps. On my list of things to do! Have a wonderful St Patricks weekend. And don't run out of thread like I did!!

Canadian Abroad said...

Loving the starflowers. It is exactly what I want to do with the two packs of rainbow charms I got in Emily's swaps. On my list of things to do! Have a wonderful St Patricks weekend. And don't run out of thread like I did!!

Canadian Abroad said...

Loving the starflowers. It is exactly what I want to do with the two packs of rainbow charms I got in Emily's swaps. On my list of things to do! Have a wonderful St Patricks weekend. And don't run out of thread like I did!!

Quilterbell said...

Great blocks Sarah!. It was impossible for me to take a decent picture today!, yours are fantastic!!!!.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Happy St Patrick's Day, sooooooooooo sorry about the rugby!
Lovely blocks there missus xxx

Catherine said...

what lovely blocks!

Charlotte said...

Beautiful blocks. Sorry to hear of your weather...it's in the 80's here in SC! Happy St.Patrick's Day!

Judee said...

It is nice to hear what is happening there on St. Patrick's Day. Here I am cooking corned beef and cabbage and sewing for National Quilting Day. I love your blocks! We are having similar weather even here in So California.

http://thankfullga447 said...

Love your blocks and the colors are so grrreat. I love the blocks on the clothesline. I have a clothsline for hanging of my quilts.

Irina said...

I love those blocks!
We didn't bother going to the parade either... we went for a walk down the shore in the sunny afternoon after the rain and saw a rainbow too

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

very pretty blocks! happy St Patricks day

Kristen King said...

What beautiful blocks! Makes me think I should make one of those colorful star quilts! :)

Sarah said...

Love the rainbow stars!

Heather D. said...

Your colourful blocks look just the thing for this time of year! They look wonderful. And your weather sounds a lot like our weather here this week on the south west coast of Canada. We've had it all, even including snow.

cheeky monkey said...

they are so lovely! I love the stars and the colors are amazing!

We skipped the parade this year either and went to the rugby match. It was much more fun even if my feet were frozen :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

They look beautiful! Love the effect of the two fabrics on the petals! Happy St Patrick's Day :)

LisaG said...

Totally loving your rainbow blocks, really lovely & colourful.

Di said...

Your blocks are gorgeous. I love the colours of each block. We watched the rugby with younger son and hubby routing for Ireland (hubby from the north). Son was heard to say 'I can't go to school on Monday, they will never stop teasing me'. Pity there is no bank holiday here!

Cherie said...

Love the colours and the design!! UK weather has never been great...though the sound of rain is rather soothing =D

Leanne said...

Sounds like a great parade, I love watching from the sofa! Those blocks are so cheerful, the quilt will be wonderful.

Nicky said...

Fantastic stars!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Wow, those are gorgeous! Great choice of blocks for those charms.
Happy st Patrick's day!

Annaliese said...

"typical Irish day of weather" - hahahahah! that sounds like a weather forecasters nightmare! but the blocks are beautiful :)

Kristen said...

Fantastic block!! I may have use my charms in this pattern! Yum!

Susan said...

Your stars are sparkling! Happy St Pat's Day! Not too much Guinness now!

Kirsten said...

Love the starflower blocks - a great idea for the rainbow charms!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

My heart be still,I love a rainbow and a star=perfection. We are drinking gluhwein tonight on this cold and rainy St. Patrick's day, California style.

Richard Healey said...

Those are amazing thanks.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com
http:// my1pictureaday.blogspot.com/

felicity said...

Your St. P's day plans worked out brilliantly - you are a genius indeed! I am conveniently forgetting to mention the local St. P's parade to my own little one.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Love the blocks, they look gorgeous wafting in the breeze!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Beautiful blocks..a lovely rainbow of colours to go with the rainbow you had on St. Patty's Day! Perfect!

Roslyn said...

I'm not a fan of stars but I love these. The use of multi colours some how has transformed them. Can't wait to see more of the quilt.

Cindy said...

We had the same day today. Gorgeous sun, warm breeze, dark clouds, pouring rain, warm sun. It's hard to bring clothes in/out/in/out from the line!

Your blocks are so spectacular! This is going to be one lovely quilt, Missus!

Judith, Belfast said...

Gorgeous blocks Sarah! Sounds like a much better way to spend the 17th! Jxo

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Sounds like you were a wise woman to stay inside and celebrate there. :) Your starflowers look amazing and I really love the scrappy look of them! Can't wait to see your quilt with them. Hope you had a very Happy St. Patrick's Day!
xo

Amy said...

Beautiful! I'll be keeping this pattern in mind when the rainbow charm swap I'm part of is completed!

Patrice N. said...

I love those blocks! Great Pattern! I would love to do this quilt with my grandmother. Where did you get the pattern??

@pril said...

This block is already on my to do list, have yet to do it though. I love how each of yours is different. A great scrap busting block I must say!

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com