Sunday, March 25, 2012

Skittles Quilt (my hand quilting heaven!)



It's been a glorious weekend here in Cork. Hazy, sunshine filled days...something we had almost forgotten could happen in the last couple of years. The garden has been weeded and the grass has been cut. The kids bikes have been ridden for miles up and down our road. The local insects have been adopted as pets.


The washing has all been line dried. A lot of ice cream has been consumed. (The house has gone to pieces, but who cares when you spend the whole day outside?)

And I finished my Skittles quilt. Yay!



This quilt was my biggest and longest-standing UFO. I started it last April...almost a year in the making. When I cut the fabric for it, Kate Spain's Central Park was high on the trendy fabrics list, and I remember seeing it on so many blogs. One year on and I really think these fabrics from that line still look fresh and gorgeous. I love the purples and blues together.


I used Kate Conklin's pattern to make this quilt, and I really loved it, plus I learned a new technique for piecing while doing it (Stack and Slash). There's no reason it took as long as it did to make, as it was relatively straightforward to piece...I think it was just the size - the thoughts of quilting it! - and trying to decide on the backing that delayed me.


Once I decided, after doing some small handquilting projects, that I wanted to hand quilt it, suddenly I couldn't wait to get to it and I have spent a very pleasant couple of weeks working on this in the evening in front of the tv.

 

I loved the original Skittles quilt so much that I decided to use the quilting in that as my inspiration, and meandered a line in deep purple perle cotton across my rows. Occasionally I broke it up by adding in some turquoise and teal threads, outlining individual stitches. I like how the different colours break it up a little.


 I didn't worry too much about the stitching, figuring out early on that a few crooked stitches would not be noticeable in the overall effect and how right I was. In fact, most of it I am pretty happy with, I managed to get my lines pretty straight.


The back is a lavender whole cloth piece of Klona solid, with appliqued small panels of Saffron Craig's magical land. I had intended not running the handstitching through the panels, but did one by accident and loved the effect so much I kept at it.

I really like how the stitching looks on the back of the quilt!


I used an aubergine coloured dotty poplin to bind it. Its a much darker purple than those in the Central Park fabrics, but it matches the thread colour pretty closely and I think it works really well to frame the quilt. The finished size is a generous lap size quilt at 72" x 52" approx.

 

I can't tell you how proud I am of this quilt, or how much I love it! I adored the process of making it, and I just love the effect of the hand stitches. Hubbie loves it too, and even the kids have commented on it (and I found them using it one morning when I came downstairs, while it was in the process of being quilted. The raw edges and messy bits of batting sticking out didn't bother them at all!


This is a big finish for me so I'll be linking it up to {Sew} Modern Monday, Manic Monday and Fabric Tuesday.

34 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

What an absolutely gorgeous quilt. The hand quilting is really beautiful. Well done!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

you did a wonderful job on it....I hand quilt all the time; it is time consuming but relaxing....this is a great looking quilt....good job!

Deborah said...

There is something very special about this quilt! Your hand quilting is heavenly. And it warms my heart that your family loves it, too!

Manda said...

Well done it is beautiful! :)

Katie B said...

This looks fantastic! The hand quilting is lovely.

Leanne said...

It's beautiful, and so nice to see it finished. I love the way you quilted it, the stitches, the colours and the meandering lines. It looks perfect for spring.

patchworkdelights said...

Looks absolutely fabulous Sarah and so my you be proud of it! Well done! Fi

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Your quilt is really beautiful! I love everything in it, fabrics, pattern, quilting! I enjoy also hand quilting and you have made the quilting so well! x Teje

Karen said...

It is gorgeous! I agree on central park too...cannot get enough of it still. :)

Susan said...

Its a great quilt! COngratulations! The hand quilting really makes it special!

Sheila said...

Lovely, fresh & sumery looking, just goes with the weather at the moment!

Karen said...

The quilt is lovely, central park is still my favourite line, great job on the hand quilting!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh twinie it's stunning!! I have been pondering on and off trying my hand at hand quilting my Stained, when I get that far; if I could guarantee it looking this beautiful I'd be ordering my thread now!

It's a beauty x

Kelly said...

It's stunning!! This is yet another pattern sitting in my computer waiting to be made :)

Kirsten said...

This is such a beautiful quilt Sarah - your lovely handstitching makes it even more special!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Sarah, it's a very beautiful quilt! Kate Spain's Central Park is my favorite collection. I love the big stitch hand quilting you've done on it, it really stands out. Great job!

Cherie said...

Wow it looks incredible! Both the back and the front! The quilting is amazing, I like that you used various colours! =D

Di said...

It is beautiful - you are right to be proud of such a gorgeous quilt. Di xo

Melinda said...

Very pretty! And your ONE year long UFO puts me to shame! I feel like I hardly finish anything large...just the small projects.

Anonymous said...

such a beautiful finish,well done.xx

ScissorsandThread said...

Gorgeous, well done you! The quilting is lovely.

Irina said...

Really pretty!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's beautiful, I love the hand quilting!

Rhonda the Rambler said...

There is another one of your beautiful rolled pictures. I love this quilt! Seriously gorgeous!

Cindy said...

Yippee! It's beautiful! xx

Wendy said...

No wonder you're proud, it's beautiuful!

Jeanette said...

This is so beautiful, love the hand quilting.

Annabella said...

Yea - it`s gorgeous Sarah. What a clever ducky you are.x

Kritta22 said...

Wow! that really is wonderful! Great job!

What does Skittles mean over there? In the US it's a candy.

Canadian Abroad said...

The quilt, stitching, and the weather is beautiful. Hard to be in a bad mood with weather like this. I will wait until it all goes horribly wrong and rainy and the kids are off school!

Karen said...

What a beautiful quilt S!

Heidi Grohs said...

Your keeping it right?

Sew Sane Jane said...

Cute pattern! I love the wonky strips. I also love the fun, bright patterns against the white backgroud - it really makes the colors pop!

@pril said...

Your Skittles Quilt is so fresh & beautiful. I love abstract quilts where there really is no rhyme or reason. Thanks for sharing.

@pril
KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com