Saturday, March 3, 2012

For the Love of Solids Swap Package done!

Woohoo! Another swap package finished and ready for posting :-)
This is for Round 2 of the For the Love of Solids swap, and I am totally thrilled with how it turned out. I hope my partner will love it and use it.

Solids Swap package finished

I managed to catch 10 minutes of sunshine this morning to take some pictures before the rain started. Wow, I'd forgotten how nice photos taken in sunshine look! It's been so grey here all winter, but I love how vibrant the colours are looking. I will be sad packing this one up, I would use this myself in a heartbeat.

Solids Messenger bag hanging

First up - the big item which is the finished messenger bag. It's looking good, isn't it? I adore this bag, and I am definitely going to make one for myself. Even Himself, who normally runs a mile when I suggest making something for him, wants one. As in, I didn't suggest it to him, he actually asked me to make him one. In plain manly colours. (Obviously.) But still, you could have knocked me over with a feather! High compliments indeed.

As I posted before, I made the messenger bag following loosely the pattern in Lisa Lam's Bag Making Bible. The lining is strengthened with fusible fleece, which gives the bag loads of structure, and the exterior fabric (Kona quilting weight cotton) is interfaced with woven fusible interfacing. The flap of the bag is quilted, and has some heavy weight interfacing to make it hang nicely. I bound it in the lining fabric for a touch of extra detail.

The construction of this bag was relatively straightforward and the hardest bit was just getting the small details right - like making the pieced panels to work out the same size as the pattern pieces and get the proportions right. I used incomplete strips on the back of the bag, and I think this is my favourite bit!

Messenger bag back

I followed the pattern to make an adjustable strap complete with slider and it looks really good. Plus, I've learned a new skill and they are very easy to make, so I can use them on other bags in the future too. Yay!

Messenger Bag front

I used some sew in magnetic buttons as closures.

I added some pockets to the lining, in 2 different shades of blue. The back lining wall has a long divided pocket in aqua blue with space for pens, cards etc.

Back panel pocket


 The front lining wall has a pocket for a mobile phone.

Zip Pouch in bag

The finished bag measures approx 14.5" x 11.5" and is 4" deep. It would be perfect as a general bag for carrying your stuff around in, would fit an A4 notebook or 3 easily, or some books. It would easily carry fabric etc for going to classes or guild meet ups, or it could also be used as a baby bag to carry nappies/diapers, change of clothes etc (although it doesn't have a waterproof pocket). It's very practical and lots of fun, in the bright colours. I also think the Kona Ash background colour will not show up marks and dirt as easily as a darker colour would, which is important in a bag (well, in my world it is anyway!)


For the small item, I decided to make a matching zippy pouch. I had a bright purple zip which I was sure would work great against the green lining, so I made purple the central colour in the star and used some purple perle cotton to hand quilt around the star. I really like how bright and fresh this one looks.

Solids wonky star zip pouch

For the back, I used a strip of pieced colours, similar to the bag, and handquilted on either side of the line.

Small item zip pouch back and lining

The pouch turned out very nicely, and at 10" x 10" it is a great size. It could be used for hand sewing supplies, including an embroidery hoop, or could hold make up, or could even be used as a pencil case. It fits perfectly inside the bag.

So there it is, another swap package done. This one is all ready to be wrapped up and posted on Monday morning and I really hope my partner will like it as I had lots of fun making it for her.

36 comments:

Debbie said...

This is so totally awesome - your workmanship & attention to detail is inspiring. I'd never thought I needed a messenger bag, but now I may need to make myself one - ha! Really, so nicely done!

Kati said...

LOVE this bag! Everything about it is great. The pouch is perfect too. Lucky swap partner!

Mizenply said...

Très joli ! et avec ces couleurs éclatantes, il dit que le printemps n'est pas loin. C'est sûr qu'il sera apprécié

Mizenply said...

Olala... enlevez vite mon commentaire ! je viens de cliquer sur le lien et le site n'est pas celui de mon blog !!! Je ne sais pas pourquoi :o(((
Je vous disais que : Très joli ! et avec ces couleurs éclatantes, il dit que le printemps n'est pas loin. C'est sûr qu'il sera apprécié

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh both the bag and pouch are stunningly fresh twinnie - your partner is one lucky lady`!

my4lilgirls said...

Love your bag Sarah, really nice, you should do a pattern for it
Have a great weekend
Karen x

my4lilgirls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Coleman said...

Oh Sarah
these are going to be much coveted items. I'd love it myself

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

This is a beautiful set and your partner is very lucky

CapitolaQuilter said...

The workmanship in both of your bags is such a professional quality and quite inspiring. You set a nice example of items to send for the swap.

ScissorsandThread said...

Wow this is gorgeous, love the bag and the pouch is great too.

Melinda said...

Can I be your partner? I'm not in the swap, I just want you to send it to me! LOVE!

Melinda said...

Can I be your partner? I'm not in the swap, I just want you to send it to me! LOVE!

Danny Heyen said...

THose turned out so pretty! You did a great job!

Tiffany said...

This is seriously one of the best swap packages I've seen! So fantastic - I'm going to hold out a tiny sliver of hope that it is for me but I'm doubting it. Super lucky partner :) Thanks for sharing so much about it - def. need to make myself one now!

**nicke... said...

you did a great job! they both look amazing! and what an amazing compliment that your mr. asked for one!

Sarah said...

I love it! Wish it was coming my way but apparently I forgot to put bag down...

Toni said...

This is a totally fabulous swap package, Sarah! Love the messenger bag and the pouch. Holding out for the tiniest sliver of hope that it is coming my way!!

Heidi Staples said...

How lovely these are! Such a beautiful job!

Kristen said...

So gorgeous!

Katy Cameron said...

Can I just say how insanely jealous I am of your swap partner right now?! I'm currently battling a particularly awkward pieced circle that isn't. A circle that is. *sigh*

Katie B said...

I'm not going to lie--I'm really hoping this is on its way to my house!!

Nicky said...

Lovely makes - your partner is one lucky lady!

Susan said...

How can you give this away!!! Immediately go and make another 'something' and KEEP this! Otherwise starting making them for the High Street! You'll make a fortune, cos everyone wants one! Fab!!!

Leanne said...

I love it! I can totally see why your guy wants one too, it is wonderful! The pouch is very cute too.

Lisnaweary Quilts said...

Oh so lovely! I have that book - I may just have to try that pattern out!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I've been admiring your makes in the Flickr group - totally awesome and would happily be used all the time if they arrive on my doorstep :)

Judith, Belfast said...

Stunning makes S! I'm not surprised everyone wants one now! Jxo

Cherie said...

Wow that looks so professional!! Are you sure the bag elves didn't come down in the night and make it ? =P

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous! you are so talented, very lucky partner :)

CityHouseStudio said...

Beautiful projects, wow!
I just love the messenger bag - I've never made one but always wanted to!

Kirsten said...

Such a wonderful and stunning bag - and the pouch is so cute!! Hoping I am your partner this time:)

Annabella said...

I totally `need` this bag. Did you hear me? I.NEED.IT...and the pouch.

Mary Menzer said...

I don't think it's for me ~ but I'll be on the look out anyway!

Kelly said...

LOVE the bag and the pouch!! Might have to dig the bag making bible out and actually try and make one.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Wow, it's wonderful! Love all your attention to detail, your partner is going to be thrilled!!